What kind of shot string do you want in your duck load?

Bee

10 pointer
Mar 14, 2005

This video is well worth a watch to help you figure out how your various duck load options perform as to the length of the shot string in your guns/shells. He has filmed shot strings with a camera that takes pics at 180,000 pics per second. The video using many brands and loads shows shot strings with all shot impacts within 6 feet of target and some that are 16 feet long . I always thought I wanted all shot on target in the shortest interval. I still do after watching this. But some higher dollar shells are not providing that impact. Some cheaper ones are superior in length of shot string.

When we pay what we do for waterfowl loads we expect better performance with more expensive shells. We may have been getting fooled by just looking only at how many pellets are in a stationary piece of paper. When those pellets get to a point of impact on a fast moving target may be a critical component of determine what duck load we should be choosing?

Last edited:

B.M. Barrelcooker

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2006
Aintry,Ky
AFAA4709-B272-4D68-9302-C3F3E4F7DE87.jpeg

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
Got nailed with high brass #5s back in my outlaw days. Helluva fine, but almost worth it.
But I raised hell for the 4 years before I got nailed, and kilt ducks better than any steel shot ever has
I used to keep some #4 buck in my back pocket… for coyotes. And an unsharpened #2 pencil, if you know what that was for, you know… if you don’t, good on you.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I shoot steel 2’s or 4’s. Sounds silly but my 12 won’t pattern odd #s worth a lick.

I shoot 5 bismuth in 16. It has crushed everything like a champ but the shells cost more than the shotgun. Never tried anything fancier.

It was a cool video though.

Latest posts