What is your criteria for

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by Duster, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Doing a mount ? Mine is only things not common in the area I live or lived in. I don't do deer from anyplace except a euro mount no matter what size. All other critters on my wall come from out of state or out of country.

2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    only criteria is if i want to mount it or not, nothing more. the one i'm most proud of is a life size mountain goat, that was a real hunt.

rockhousehunter likes this.
  3. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    It has to be bigger then the last one I killed and criteria is different for bow and rifle.

Ataulbe1 likes this.
  4. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Just if I take a notion to mount it or not and how much wall space I have left

5. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I've kinda gotten over the "has to be bigger than the last one on the wall" thing for mounting deer. Or shooting a buck for that matter. The last couple years have taught me that life is short, and you should make the most of it, when you can. Passed on a cool looking 3 yr old non-typical on my first sit in September last fall. Had him dead to rights, broadside at 10 yards from a blind. Didn't take the shot because it was the first day, and got into the whole "bigger than the last one" conversation with myself. He hung out for a good 10 minutes, so I had ample opportunity. Never got a shot at anything over a spike the rest of the year.

After thinking about it, and looking at the antler mount on a smaller buck I took while my daughter was with me, I decided I'm just taking a buck that I want to take, or I think looks cool, and who cares what age/size it is. THe memories are what count. Still pretty unlikely to take a small 2 yr old or spike, but I'm not going to get caught up with it "only" being 3 years old again. If it's big enough to shoulder mount, then I'll do it. Other wise, I'll just antler mount it and have a story to tell.

6. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    I like big racks. That’s what I go after. If I put it down I’m mounting it. I don’t take a shot unless I want it on the wall. I like to hunt for animals that will make me happy and being a nice animal worthy of hanging on the wall is what I like.

rockhousehunter and Genesis 27:3 like this.
  7. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I haven't mounted a buck in a number of years. I've taken several in the 150s and 160s that I just did a euro mount myself. If I get a net Booner with my bow or something unusual I will probably mount it though.

8. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    No real criteria....but 140's ish will probably get a trip to the taxidermist...as others have said I like euros too. The older I get the more I likem... I've got 2 to finish of my own..do a few for friends. Get to work in a little wood working...its just fun.
    Something about having them on the wall........makes it looks like a killer lives here.

Munson, Genesis 27:3 and Capttrae like this.
  9. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    If I have one or not. I never mounted anything and one year I had what I thought was a pretty decent buck. I didn't think it was worth spending the money on, so I didn't. Instead I was going to do a euro mount so I could keep the rack. Well, my FIL at the time was going to skin the skull and bury it for me. One day in the spring, he says it's ready, so the next weekend we go down there and it can't be found. He had pulled it out of the ground and set it against the house and it wasn't there when we got there. We figure a dog came through the yard and carried it off.

So the next decent buck after that I got mounted. I've had one more mounted since the first one. But unless it's really unique or something, I probably won't do it again and will try my hand at a euro mount.

10. Bubbles

Bubbles 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2016
    I just want to make sure it doesnt look like a broomstick was used in the mount.

hunt-4-life21 and Meatstick like this.
  11. Genesis 27:3

Genesis 27:3 10 pointer

Oct 13, 2018
    Christain county
    I like dead things on the wall that I killed.I think that's cool.;)

rockhousehunter and aaronc like this.
  12. T-wil69

T-wil69 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    I don’t shoot a buck unless it’s wall worthy, I do shoulder mount only, I just don’t like euro mounts, they don’t look any diff that a deadhead found out in the woods

13. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    I never did understand this thinking but to each their own. If I kill a 180 inch deer and next year kill a nice 165 then I'm not mounting it? Uh, yeah I am. I want a deer cave, a deer wall. Guess we all have different wants.

Brody and aaronc like this.
  14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I mounted my first buck of course. Mounted my second, which is still my best. Mounted my next 20 years later, my first velvet buck. Mounted my last 4 years ago. He was a very old buck, very unique. Friend of mine talked me into it. I won't mount another unless it is bigger than my best, or a bigger velvet, sports drop tines, or another unique buck.

aaronc likes this.
  15. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Agree with that thinking. I killed my largest in 1996 a 178 inch typical but I’ve taken several 140-160s deer since with bow/gun and each one are on the wall. I will never get a buck to top that in my lifetime. I may come close but pushing 180 is tough to beat. If i don’t want it mounted and on my trophy room wall I’m not shooting it. I enjoy looking at each mount and remembering the hunt. I’m not one to take a buck just to say I filled my buck tag which some guys do that. Everyone is different but that’s just me.