What is wrong with this deer?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by hardtimes, Nov 16, 2018.

1. hunt

hunt 6 pointer

Sep 29, 2015
    The Berg
    Ok,whatever. I don't even shoot Rage broadheads. Good luck to you and ur hound,I wish you both success,have a good day.

2. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    You still believe there’s a void between the lungs and spine. So you lose any credibility on your knowledge of deer anatomy.

Like we’ve said from the start...it was never a solid double lung shot. It clipped the very back of one and probably the very front of the other. With the angle you describe it’s the only possible answer. There just wasn’t as much damage as a solid broadside shot in the center of both lungs. I’ve been shooting deer for over 35 years and smart enough to know what solid double lung shot will do. If a deer can survive the shot you described then we would lose 90% of the deer shot.

Have you seen how much blood pours out of a deers chest after a solid double lung shot? Tissue damage, blood lose, and lack of oxygen, has only one outcome. Death. If a deer lives then these things didn’t happen. End of story.

elkaholic and hunt like this.
  3. allseasonhunter

allseasonhunter 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2010
    Nope never seen that. I've only hunted for 30 years myself and have only recovered 181 deer with just the dog alone in the last 6 years. That's probably more recovered deer than you will ever track in your life yet I still according to you don't know what I'm talking about. You have again hijacked yet another thread with your constant opinions that vary from what actually happened. If you want to learn something even though you think you know everything start following some tracking dog pages on Facebook. Pm me and I can give you some names to watch. Then you will see that this type of thing happens alot more than you realize. But again you won't because you are too bigheaded to see that in fact you are wrong. Good day sir

4. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    You brought it up first so there’s your hijack. I don’t claim to know anything about tracking dogs. You think there’s a void so in your 30 years you didn’t learn much about anatomy.

What I do know is basic biology and what it takes to sustain life. If all of those deer you recovered were hit well you would be out of business. There’s no magic way to cheat death. You can post all the pictures of old scars you want. It doesn’t change basic biology.

hunt likes this.
  5. allseasonhunter

allseasonhunter 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2010
    If you say so. If you knew what we have tracked and found you would see that about half of what we have recovered were in fact not hit in bad spots. But again you know all the answers so you are right.

6. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Just to clarify, can a deer be shot below the spine and above the lungs....and live?

ojibwa62 likes this.
  7. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Yeah I see deer hit perfectly with their vitals blown out go for miles and live for weeks all the time. Lol

I’m sure some are shot well but maybe a difficult area to track. Most times I hear of someone needing a tracking dog it’s because of a not so perfect shot. But your the expert on deer anatomy. Just for the future, since I’ve been aiming for the wrong spot apparently, where should we noobs be aiming for?

8. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

One thing some may be missing on the void. Deer just like us breath in and breath out. Lungs are not fully expanded 100% of the time and it is possible to hit high and miss them. But again there is a major artery running along the spine that would be hard to miss on a high under the spine shot.

elkaholic likes this.
  9. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    do the lungs curve downward farther forward in the cavity?

10. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    The lungs fill the area 100%. At no time do they have a space when they exhale.

11. Bubbles

Bubbles 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2016
    Yes indeed. I shot one at 8 yards from 22 feet. Watched the arrow disappear under the spine and complete pass through. Never found hardly any blood...not even on the arrow. There was meat and fat on the broadhead and arrow. Never found it.

Just the fact there wasnt any blood on the arrow amazed me. As for the void....mmmm...I personally wouldnt be surprised if there is a spot between the spine and lungs where, if hit, it isn't a terminal injury. But I sure as hell dont care to argue about it.

12. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    There is no space between them. You hit above the spine. That’s why you didn’t find blood. There is very little blood running through the blackstraps. Did you watch the video I posted? Here is the video again.

elkaholic likes this.
  13. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I shot a deer with a rifle a few years ago .While I was cleaning the deer I found another bullet that had the meat healed up around it. The hide was healed up. It had to have been shot a year or two before I killed it. Where I found that bullet was a good shot and should have taken that deer .
    I know that buck will stop and try and pack leaves In a wound.

14. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    That video seems less than scientific. I have no doubt that the lungs carry upwards towards the rear and are in essence into the spine area. No doubt....but is it that way the entire length of the lungs? The lungs curve. Toward the front of the animal, the lungs are not necessarily up to the spine correct?

15. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    No, lungs are pressurized. Both lungs are separated but they completely fill the space. They go all the way towards the front of the chest and are longer on the top than the bottom. The back or end is thinner than the rest and if a deer was hit in that spot it would not bleed as much or do as much damage possibly. But the top of the lungs will inflate and be pushed up against the ribs that connect to the spine. There is no possible way there’s a void.