What is wrong with this deer?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by hardtimes, Nov 16, 2018.

1. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Hopefully not CWD. He's got a nice set of antlers, but you may want to call a biologist if you actually down him. The sample area is inside the skull, and KDFWR would need some tissue from there in order to diagnose.

I sent a screenshot to a biologist that I know from KDFWR. It'll probably be Monday before he gets back with me - in case he asks, what county is this pic from?

carnivore likes this.
  2. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Can't say for certain, but he might be a survivor of E.H.D. You might want to go ahead and take him and called your area Wildlife Biologist. Don't want to scare anyone here but he just might have Chronic Wasting Disease (C.W.D.) I believe the State would issue another Buck Tag. But take him out & call the Biologist.

3. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    davers likes this.
  4. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    I would try to take him out and would discontinue using corn to prevent spreading disease.

5. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
  6. hardtimes

hardtimes 6 pointer

Jul 10, 2008
    Mt. Washington
    Thanks. If you don’t mind to, could you please PM me the biologist contact information or I can reach out to KDFWR on Monday.
    I actually have video from the cam of the deer. The deer doesn’t show any signs of having difficulty when he is walking around and feeding, it’s just his appearance.

7. scastle

scastle 6 pointer

Mar 4, 2011
    shouldn't we as hunters take animals like this out of the herd.I see post all the time of broken legs and other wounds and no one wants to kill them, because it will cost me my buck tag. I don't know, hate to see things suffer when they could have been taken out. just my thoughts on the matter

elkaholic likes this.
  8. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I know if a buck us really running does they can lose as much as 30% of their body weight..

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    davers likes this.
  9. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    I think most people would do the right thing in or out of season and choose not to post it here. Deer with a bum leg usually do fine but many deer that are suffering have infections and cannot be eaten. I wouldnt even judge a person for not tagging it as long as they dont take any meat or antlers.
    Ive done it with permission (called kdfwr) They asked if it was a buck, when i told them it was a doe i was instructed to shoot it and only tag if i could salvage the meat. Im not sure what they would have said if it was a buck but i suspect they would have told me to tag it if i wanted the antlers.

10. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I thought about CWD and it is a possibility.. If it is you can say bye bye to using corn.

wprebeck likes this.
  11. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    That would be a very big deal.

12. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I added to my post .. in States I have lived in when cwd showed up baiting was all but banned and the use of natural deer urine was also banned or being looked at.. the later doesn't bother me because the synthetic lures work just as well.

13. allseasonhunter

allseasonhunter 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2010
    But then again what do biologist know. I mean I have one who autopsied a double lung shot deer that lived and all the experts on here said it could never happen. I'd say listen to the majority answer posted here and not what your biologist said because he isn't right.

Nock likes this.
  14. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I wonder if deer can get Johne’s disease,I see it in cattle sometimes where they literally crap themselves to death

15. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I’d say CWD is near zero since there have never been any in the state. EHD is a very high possibility. It could be a number of other things as well. If you don’t want him then let him go and see what happens. Nature takes care of itself pretty well. Other than being skinny he seems ok to me.

Nock and Ataulbe1 like this.