What is to warm

allseasonhunter

6 pointer
Feb 2, 2010
open the cavity and wash out with a hose. hang from the back legs. the water will get the cavity temps down. we have let them hang in 60 to 70 degree temps in a shed or in a non heated/cooled barn for up to 3 days. never had an issue with those temps.

KYBH4Life

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
43 degrees is about perfect, anything above that is rotting not aging.

Bone it out put it on ice in a cooler- drain plug pulled.

hence why I just quartered mine and put in cooler. Wanted to let it hang but didn't want to chance it

CKYoutdoors

6 pointer
Nov 30, 2011
Yeah three days in that temperature is a little much. I wouldn't leave it anymore than overnight, and that is with ice in the body cavity. We have backed out and found deer the next day in september and they were fine, so overnight I would say it would be fine without ice, but I wouldn't chance it

OUTBACK

8 pointer
Nov 6, 2005
W. KY
Look up Deer Hang Time at Field and Stream. It talks about letting a deer hang for at least 24hrs in temps above freezing and below 40.
I don't know who the article is by but was uploaded back in 06'.

allseasonhunter

6 pointer
Feb 2, 2010
you guys have obviously never been on a float trip or anything like it. what would you do if you were in alaska for example for 3 weeks and the temps were in the 70s for that time? say you killed a moose on the 2nd or 3rd day of a 21 day float trip. what are you going to do with the meat? been there done that and the meat ws fine. all you have to do is take the proper precautions first. hanging doesnt hurt the meat unless its cooking and not chilling.

Fat Rax

6 pointer
Sep 5, 2013
Florida / Part Time, KY.
you guys have obviously never been on a float trip or anything like it. what would you do if you were in alaska for example for 3 weeks and the temps were in the 70s for that time? say you killed a moose on the 2nd or 3rd day of a 21 day float trip. what are you going to do with the meat? been there done that and the meat ws fine. all you have to do is take the proper precautions first. hanging doesnt hurt the meat unless its cooking and not chilling.

Makes sense to me considering what our ancestors did before refrigeration.

WildmanWilson

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2004
Western Ky.
You can eat a road killed animal after its been on the road for 3 day if you cook it enough to kill the bad "stuff". I doubt it will be the best thing you ever had but you can do it. Go buy a 20 dollar ribeye and think how you would want it treated before you eat it. How many of you would eat it if the local steak house had their steaks in a tree or barn with the temps in the 60s for days at a time or with the temps up and down from 20 to 60 and the humidity all over the place?

Just remember...its made of meat. It's going in your and your families belly. Read about safe handling practices on the internet and understand whats the best way to do it.

Tha' Hat

10 pointer
Oct 3, 2005
The Island
Makes sense to me considering what our ancestors did before refrigeration.

Our ancestors were routinely dead by age 40, too. ;)

To each his own. Everyone has their own opinion on aging venison. We eat as much of it as anyone I know (well, not right now because preggo wife has a sudden aversion to it and all other red meat), and we age ours in a cooler, on ice with the drain plug open unless it's 40 degrees or colder outside.