What is/makes a bedding area?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Ezelkyhunter, Oct 19, 2021.

1. GreenBay Fan

GreenBay Fan Spike

Dec 15, 2017
    Vine Grove
    In hilly areas they tend to bed down on the sides of hills that will get the sun first. Especially when it starts to get colder. Generally about a 1/4 of the way down from the top of the hill. Usually is a trail near that they can jump on for escape.

Jerod likes this.
  2. Jerod

Jerod 10 pointer

Oct 30, 2008
    KY
    True story

3. AdamC

AdamC Fawn

Oct 14, 2021
    Kentucky
    Mine bed up on high ground. They like cedar groves. Go out a morning after the first snow and you’ll see bare ground where they slept.

Jerod likes this.
  4. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

I have red cedar thickets all over my place. They bed there. They also have a sincere like for the tall grass in areas where the hay dude never mows. There was a hillside that got hit hard by Ike and has old cedars blown down all over an east-facing hillside. They seem to like that. Lastly, there is a creek bottom on the back of the property that they frequent.

Having watched them now for 20 years, I can tell you they never seem to bed in any sort of pattern. That is, if I see them going to bed in one spot with a given set of wind and temperature conditions, given those same conditions, I'll find them bedding elsewhere.

5. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    So there is Summer thermal bedding and winter thermal bedding. Most hunters concern themselves more with Winter thermal bedding as the deer can bed pretty much anywhere for summer bedding. So for winter you could plant 1/4 - 1/2 acre of arborvite or white pine or cedar and some other bush type non-evasive to where they can obtain a break from the wind to create an area for bedding. Don't make it so tight they can't get in and out, but if you can get it off the ridgetop maybe on a shelf. Also wouldn't hurt to put a water hole tween it and where they may feed. Bonus if its on an oak flat! May take them a while to use it but once they do....

6. Chilly

Chilly 12 pointer

In my opinion, Vantage point whether sight or wind is what I think determines where he beds. On heavily pressured land (public) thick with an escape route is what I believe they have to have in order to survive.

7. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I’ve seen them bed on top of bluffs with a good escape route. A little over half was steep sides and the “front” had sinkholes so that narrowed down the approach and exit. The buck bedded on the bluff about 3 years in a row during gun season. He finally was killed running a doe out in the pasture. We figure he was probably 5.5-6.5 years old.

8. rlb165

rlb165 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Ezelkyhunter, I’ve been pretty much obsessed with deer beds and bedding areas since I saw how well it works. Our sightings are up like a million percent compared to before.

Whenever I find deer hair in a new bed I’ve made, I tell my wife and kids, “Guys, this is the happiest day of my life!”, and they all look at each other funny.

Anyway, I’ve made several beds that have never been used (as far as I know), but I’ve made some that seem to always have hair in them.

Here’s the basic plan for the beds that seem to get used pretty regularly.
    For the record, it took longer to edit this picture than it did to make this bed.
    7867E696-DDF6-411C-BF48-07D61B58D396.jpeg
    If you have any questions, let me know, and I’ll stop whatever I’m doing to talk about deer beds.

AdamC likes this.
  9. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    You are hunting an escarpment zone

rlb165 likes this.
  10. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Deer seem to bed on steep hillsides between flats here in the mountain. Any kind of threat will most likely be traveling the benches. A big sink hole (old tree uprooted on a steep is perfect.

Brody, trapper perry and Drahts like this.
  11. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    I think bedding areas for mature bucks changes with the seasons. A big rack deer ain’t gonna bed in the thick nasty stuff cause his horns get in the way. And definitely not gonna bed in briars when in velvet. He’d tear his rack all to pieces. Different beds for different wind directions and different beds for different times of the year. Find a lot of buck beds on points and on transition lines. If it’s being used it will have lots of hair in it. With all that rambling being said. Most of the time it’s in a spot that you can’t get to