WHAT have YOU been doing Today??

I "Popped Out" one of those big Hickory Nuts. I picked a smaller one that had a bug hole in the hull, thinking it probably made it inside.
Nope. It was fine.
Just Look at how well it came out of the Shell...just used a Hammer on a Rock.

If y'all ever cracked out Hickory nuts, you already know some are difficult. Some trees are consistently easier than others.

I saw the pic before I read the post. I have to admit, I thought I was going to read Tankt found another surprise on his way to the coffee maker.

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
When I was a kid my mother and I would go up to where there was some big hickory nut trees about 800 feet behind our house. She would take a rock and a ball ping hammer and sit and bust the outside hulls off the nuts I gathered up. We put them in walnut sacks and we sold them to a buyer that was a family member. We would have maybe a truck load when she was done. The pay was a lot better then walnuts were.
The guy also bought walnuts and my dad helped at the hullers for $5 a day and hauled off the walnut hulls and scattered them on our tobacco ground. Back then there would be people lined up with truckloads of walnuts to hull.
I have picked up Many truckloads of Walnuts and sold them. It was pretty hard work 40 years ago, but NOW...no F....n way could I do that.
Lost the best knife I ever had by forgetting it on the truck bumper when i drove off. A very old Kbar at the time and that was in the 80s

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
When I was a kid my mother and I would go up to where there was some big hickory nut trees about 800 feet behind our house. She would take a rock and a ball ping hammer and sit and bust the outside hulls off the nuts I gathered up. We put them in walnut sacks and we sold them to a buyer that was a family member. We would have maybe a truck load when she was done. The pay was a lot better then walnuts were.
The guy also bought walnuts and my dad helped at the hullers for $5 a day and hauled off the walnut hulls and scattered them on our tobacco ground. Back then there would be people lined up with truckloads of walnuts to hull.
We had black walnuts growing upon the farm, and we would gather them simply for our own use.

This medium sized tree beside my cabin is loaded and has been dropping them the past few weeks but is really beginning to do so, this past week.

20221007_070145.jpg

Need to clear the ground and then shake the tree.

20221007_065941.jpg

Luther's Feist

10 pointer
Oct 25, 2014
Coeburn, Va
Since the last of the seven quail I had quit laying I went ahead and butchered them. Figured while I was at it might as well eliminate the extra roosters that I had. Gave a buddy a few several days ago and went ahead and put the other 3 in a brine bath for next day or two then gonna make some broth of them. Thinking bout going fishing then realized nephews got out of school early today so may just sat around

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
Since the last of the seven quail I had quit laying I went ahead and butchered them. Figured while I was at it might as well eliminate the extra roosters that I had. Gave a buddy a few several days ago and went ahead and put the other 3 in a brine bath for next day or two then gonna make some broth of them. Thinking bout going fishing then realized nephews got out of school early today so may just sat around
How long did they lay?

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
I retrieved a boxer puppy from death's grasp. Evidently he got crowded out on momma overnight and didn't even have the strength to nurse this morning. Held him to my chest for 6 hrs and fed him goat's milk every 30 mins and he is back with his brothers and sisters now. Other than that I didn't get much done today.
Did the pup make it?

FF/EMT516

10 pointer
Nov 22, 2020
Caneyville, Ky
Went into work Wednesday night at 7, got off at 8 this morning. Had an appointment at 9am. Came home and got cleaned up. Laid down about 11. Got back up around 12:30 and went and ran errands with the wife and boys. Worked on my oldest sons four wheeler. Now watching Charlie Brown with my youngest. Have a pancake breakfast in the morning at the firehouse and then helping a neighboring fire dept with a standby at the last demo derby of the year. Then hopefully rest on Sunday. Back to work Monday. 73 hours since last Saturday night and I’m beat.

Dark Cloud

12 pointer
Aug 14, 2009
Lawrence Co.
I "Popped Out" one of those big Hickory Nuts. I picked a smaller one that had a bug hole in the hull, thinking it probably made it inside.
Nope. It was fine.
Just Look at how well it came out of the Shell...just used a Hammer on a Rock.

If y'all ever cracked out Hickory nuts, you already know some are difficult. Some trees are consistently easier than others.
JR I took a piece of five by five ,and mounted a piece of steel on the end,then took a big drill bit and made a deep countersink in it,worked good to lay them big nuts in to crack.

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
JR I took a piece of five by five ,and mounted a piece of steel on the end,then took a big drill bit and made a deep countersink in it,worked good to lay them big nuts in to crack.
When I was a young boy, I liked to crack walnuts and eat them. There was an old Hand Hewed Sandrock that I used to bust then on. I got a bright idea and took a Ball Pene hammer and made a little cavity in the Rock just like you were talking about.
I moved that Sandrock back behind my house about 25 years ago. It's still there now.

No picture...didn't happen

aaronc

12 pointer
Jul 21, 2009
Leitchfield
When I was a young boy, I liked to crack walnuts and eat them. There was an old Hand Hewed Sandrock that I used to bust then on. I got a bright idea and took a Ball Pene hammer and made a little cavity in the Rock just like you were talking about.
I moved that Sandrock back behind my house about 25 years ago. It's still there now.

No picture...didn't happen

I knew JR had injun n'him.

Latest posts