What guns and ammo everyone using

davers

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2014
Kentucky
Ruger 44 carbine with a Simmons 44mag scope, shooting Remington corelok 240gr soft points. Great woods gun
I used the same carbine when I went Black Bear Hunting out in Washington State, back in 1968. I've since sold the Ruger carbine though and to date I have a Ruger Model 77/.44 Magnum which I've taken several Deer in a wooded/brush area. I reload for my .44 Magnum using Hornady's 240 grain XTP bullets, which do a fine job.

davers

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2014
Kentucky
45 70 H&R super light single shot love all the H&Rs guess I am just a big kid
I have a .458 X 2" American built on an old Model 722 Remington bolt action. For light loads, I use: 42.0 grains of IMR-4198 with a 300 grain H.P. Hornady bullet. Taken several Deer with this load, all on shot kills, range around 75 yards or less.

Bubbles

Banned
Oct 25, 2016
Went to shoot my 308 and damn if i cant find any shells. Guess i will be heading to Wally for a couple boxes of Corelokts

Teach Deer

8 pointer
Aug 4, 2013
Georgetown
I have already taken a big doe with my crossbow...

Also hunting mostly public land or zone 4 private property (opening weekend due to a family trip that needs to be made)...so no booners around that I know of...just looking for a respectable 8 point or larger (though a big wide 6 point would qualify)...I purchased a team...Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt and a Marlin 1894 lever in 45 Colt...range limits is 50 max from the handgun (30 would be better) and 100 for the open sighted lever action...

Running Underwood Ammo 255 grain Keith SWC-GC @ 1000 ft/s from the Ruger...about 1400 ft/s from the Marlin...
Will also be trying out Underwood's 250 grain XTP JHP +P @ 1400 ft/s from the Ruger...about 1800 ft/s from the Marlin...

I am thinking the bottom one might delivery better performance on whitetails...

I also drew for the doe only quota hunt at Veteran's WMA...

This year it is about my hunting enjoyment (thus the 45s) rather than bagging a "trophy"...so my 7mmRM and 270s are staying in the safe...

ptbrauch

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2004
The OC
Going with a Mossberg Patriot (I know... I know... but it was cheap & it's light enough that I can manage it with my screwed up arms) in .308 this time around. Would have to go look & see what ammo I was using at the range the other day - left it in the case with the rifle.
No shame in a Patriot. It'll kill'em as dead as any of my Axis will (interesting grammar note here, plural of "axis" is "axes", which I didn't use because no one would've known what I was talking about, including myself, if I hadn't been the one who typed it).

Latest posts