what gun to use

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by WI Hunter, Feb 9, 2003.

1. WI Hunter

WI Hunter Fawn

Feb 9, 2003
    Hi, im just turning 15 and am getting into coyote hunting. I live in Wisconsin but thought you guys could help me anyway. I was just wondering what would be the BEST gun to buy for coyotes. I want a gun that has cheap ammo and I probably wont be shooting over 150yds. I cant spend too much on it around $200 or so.

Thanks
    WI Hunter

2. WI Hunter

WI Hunter Fawn

Feb 9, 2003
    This is WI Hunter again I just forgot to add that I want to keep the hides.

3. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    A 223 is about the cheapest ammo you will getand the barrel will last more than twice as long as a 22-250. It will still be hard on the hides on some shots. I myself use a 22-250 and they will put a good hole though them.

4. Str8Shooter

Str8Shooter Fawn

Feb 3, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH.
    In keeping with your economics of <$200.00, I would suggest an H&R or N.E.F. Handi-Rifle in .223. You should be able to buy a new one for around 190.00 or so. Bass Pro Shops in Cincinnati has one for 189.95 on the rack.

This is only a single shot but you also have the option of adding extra barrels in many, many different calibers. You must send them back to the factory for the barrel to be fitted, but the last time I checked they would do it for $55.00.

Like the other response you got, I shoot a .22-250 but I also bought on of the Handi-Rifles for a strictly utilitarian calling rifle. Couple it with a good low to medium power variable scope and it should serve you well for many years.

By the way, Happy Birthday!

Str8Shooter

5. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    I bought a H&R handi rifle for my kids in 243. caliber for deer hunting and it works great ( i even use it my self a couple of times )my 11 year old daughter can shoot a quarter at 100 yard it is an accurate gun for the money i am going to send it off to get a shotgun barrel so she can turkey hunt.I think this gun will work just fine for you. Good Luck

6. Rob

Rob Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    Murray, KY, USA.
    I also have an NEF Handi-Rifle in .243. I got the SuperLight model with a synthetic stock. It is one tough gun! I keep it in the backseat of the truck anytime I'm out & about, just in case. I use it as my back-up (and sometimes primary) rifle for deer & also for varmits.

If I were planning to only shoot 'yotes, I would get a .223.

You can probably find a used NEF HandiRifle for pretty cheap. They have a website where you could look.

Rob

7. WI Hunter

WI Hunter Fawn

Feb 9, 2003
    Thanks guys for your help I dont live in KY as you can see my name WI Hunter, but I looked it up and there are 3 different stores within 30mi. of where I live and I am going to check it out and hopefully find one.

8. KYhunter

KYhunter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    Rossi also makes a single shot .223. A gun shop in Lexington has it with scope for less that $300.

9. shogan

shogan Cyber-Hunter

Aug 15, 2002
    Central, ky
    The other nice thing about NEF is you can put a 50 cal muzzle barrell on them. Break open design with a hammer. Heck of a lot cheaper than an omega.