What gun to buy?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by turkeyman2000, Dec 27, 2005.

1. turkeyman2000

turkeyman2000 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2005
    Paris, Kentucky
    I'm in a very good predicament. For Christmas/Birthday I was given a gift certificate in no certain amount to Bud's Gun Shop in Paris. There being so many different manufacturers of guns and so many calibers, it is a bit overwhelming as to where to start looking.

I have a 300 Win Mag right now. That was my first rifle. I wanted something that I could do almost any hunting I wanted in North America. I am looking for something a bit smaller with not as much shoulder stomp. I would possibly hunt deer, coyotes, varmits, etc....nothing any larger. I would leave that to my 300.

I was wondering if you guys/gals would have any suggestions as to make, model, caliber, any certain type of bullet, scope (optics).

I am leaning toward a 270.......or 243.......

I would like to be thorough in my quest to find a gun and thought this would be a great place to get ideas. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

2. rick243

rick243 10 pointer

Oct 16, 2005
    SouthEast Ky
    New gun

I have been a .25 cal. fan for many years. Having had 25-06, 257 Roberts, and the improved version of both of those, and a 257 Weatherby. You can't go wrong with any of them. That said I have also used a 243 for deer quite a bit. Altho I never had any trouble with deer getting away, I still feel the 243 is a bit on the light side for deer. I used a 264 Win Mag this year for the first time. Didn't kill any better or faster than my 25's did. A good accurate 25-06 is about as good an all-purpose rifle as there is, IMHO. Low recoil and very flat shooting and most I've seen off-the-shelf were very accurate. Put a good quality variable scope in the 4.5-14 power range on it (Burris or Leupold) and learn the trajectory and you will be happy.:)

3. DoeMaster

DoeMaster 12 pointer

Feb 7, 2004
    Lexington, Ky, USA.
    Check out the Winchester WSM's . I bought a Winchester Model 70 270 WSM and love it! It won't leave your shoulder black and blue but will still give you plenty of range.

4. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    I would go with a 7mm-08. Really ain't a bunch of difference between them and .270. Mostly short action vs long action. Also you get a larger bullet selection.

5. Basswipe

Basswipe 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2002
    E\'town.
    I'm with GSP. 7mm-08 is a great gun. There is a very wide variety of 7mm bullets available. You can get anything from a 115 gr up to about a 180 grain bullet. I think it's as versatile of a round as you can get. Plus it's short action, that always makes the gun a little lighter to tote around.

I have a Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08 that I absolutely love. It's small and lightweight, but I can pack a wallop if I load heavy bullets. I also put the R-3 recoil pad on it. It's the best recoil pad you can get.

6. handgunner

handgunner Cyber-Hunter

Nov 13, 2002
    Lexington, Ky, USA.
    I would agree to the Rem. model 7.
    It's a light weight rifle. Especially since your going to keep the 300 anyway.
    Mine is in a .243 that shoots great. Wish I had got the 7-08 though.

7. watermelon3308

watermelon3308 8 pointer

Nov 21, 2005
    get you a rem 700 bdl 25-06

8. TROPHYTAKER308

TROPHYTAKER308 Banned

Oct 23, 2005
    frankfort,ky
    just bought me a browning 7mm-08 a-bolt hunter yesterday...cant wait to shoot it..:)

9. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    Well my vote is for the quarter bore......The 25-06 has been overlooked for years and I can tell you from experience that it has much more arse behind it that a .243.......It is a relatively flat shooting gun that has tremendous hydostatic capablities......

Look at the ballistics of a 25 vs 270 or 7mm-08....you may find that while the 270 and 7mm-08 carry better KE downrange they do have a little more bullet drop......

As far as kick is concerned I didnt notice much between a 300 WSM and a 270 with the same bullet weights......

If you do not wish to do anything more than hunt varmits then I would suggest you look at a 22-250........That is probably the best varmit gun made......

I would look at a good scope ie leupold burris nikon or weaver as quality does make a difference in long ranges shooting.....

As far as gun manufacturers are concerned I prefer Ruger but you will have to have a good trigger job done....Remmington....The 700 action is one of the best.....But Im starting to look at the Bennilli guns......Havent shot one but Im hearing some really good info about them......

10. Rob

Rob Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    Murray, KY, USA.
    Well, you already have a big gun - now you want a "fun" gun. I suggest you might look at the .260 caliber. It uses the same short action case as the .243, 7mm-08, & .308. You'll notice that the recoil is mild & it will just fit the bill for varmits, predators, & deer. You may even find that, if you get one, the .300 will be left at home a lot during deer season.

Since money is not a huge issue, you might look at an Encore rifle. That way, you can buy a MZ barrel, a turkey barrel, a goose barrel, a ...., well, you get the picture.

Good luck!

11. daking

daking 12 pointer

Dec 29, 2004
    I have kind of odd tastes. I once had a Ruger 77 in 7x57. Recoil was sweet. The bullet ranges are the same as a 7MM/08 and it's about the ballistic equal of the 7MM/08. I particularly like the Ruger because it has the integral dovetails for the supplied scope rings. In my opinion, this eliminates a scope base and makes things a lot simpler and foolproof (although there are those that say that nothing is foolproof in my hands). There are so many great choices that you would have to work very hard at making a bad one. The real trick is to shoot whatever you buy as much as possible. I don't know of anyone who ever wore out a rifle, but I'd like to give it a try.

Terry Sullivan

12. TROPHYTAKER308

TROPHYTAKER308 Banned

Oct 23, 2005
    frankfort,ky
    The bullet ranges are the same as a 7MM/08 and it's about the ballistic equal of the 7MM/08.
    i dont think so????only way to achieve this is to hand load the 7x57,but with factory ammo the 7mm-08 is superior,with trajectory and energy,its a considerable amount of difference..:D

13. Hoosier5

Hoosier5 Banned

Sep 6, 2004
    Northern Taylor Co.
    Since you already have a .300 Win Mag. I'd get a .243 for Varmints & Deer.

14. BillyBob

BillyBob Fawn

Dec 13, 2005
    Calloway County

i just got a .243 for graduation/chistmas adn i love it. its one of the most accurate guns ive ever used. you can hunt anything from prarie dogs all the way to deer. with minimal recoil it is great for target shooting also. i recommend getting a .243 because its packs enough punch for deer hunting but its also compatible with small game.

15. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    My "picks" fwiw...

Well, you have the big gun; and want a more for fun rifle that will mostly be for smaller stuff, but could be used for deer???

If that is the case the .243 is as close to perfect as anything out there; the 7mm-08 would be a very close second, I load some 100 grain hp in my wife's Encore 7-08, and they "scream" and don't kick much at all(in fact I think less than a 100 grain .243, though I can't figure out why, since they're the same case and same powder for both loads IIRC) ....

These are very good for what you want, and if you want a "bit more" for yotes etc. there are plenty of good "varmint type" 120's in the 7mm especially if you handload.....The Nosler BT in 120's are not a varmint bullet, and are in fact more than tough enough for deer and have killed some big Elk!!(and in faster rifles like the 7mm mag fwiw)....

NOW if you're really wanting to save hides, that is another matter too, you didn't say you were , so for now, I'll "assume" you just want to do them in :)

The 25/06 is an outstanding round, and very much underated, but IMHO for a very good reason, for the amount of powder it burns, and the muzzle blast there are much better rounds IMHO for the "smaller critters"....still it is a good choice for what you want(just maybe not among the best)..., if you won't be doing that much shooting at the smaller stuff(chucks,yotes,crows, etc)...it will do the job and well.....

So, (in order)

7mm-08 (best for bigger deer and will work great on smaller stuff as well, which is why the wife has one):D IF you reload, this is "the one" ....to do exactly what you want, and do it "well" IMHO (bullets from 100-175 grains are easily available if you handload....100-120 are usually "varmint bullets" other than the BT-139+ big game up to even Elk within a "reasonable range"....a VERY good "all around caliber", and shoots "flatter" than my /06 fwiw

.243 (better for the "smaller stuff", not hardly as great on bigger deer, but will always kill 'em with a good shot with the correct bullet) Plenty of factory loads for all of what you want if you don't reload (usually 85-100 grains are big game bullets, below that "varmint bullets"..with a few exceptions, such as the Barnes Bullets etc.)

25/06 (VERY flat shooting, but burns too much powder for much shooting at smaller stuff, plus LOUD muzzle blast with lighter bullet weights.....IMO) "workable" but not the "best" choice IMHO; though still a good one; it was probably the first "non belted mag" fwiw...

.260(very good for this, but I wonder how long it will be "around" not a "great seller" , but should be...)

Well, that's "my opinion" on what you're possibly looking for.......fwiw :)