What drives a predator hunter ? To hunt something they can't eat anyway !

RussellHayes

6 pointer
Jan 19, 2011
Midway in woodford co.
:)How many times have you been asked this question ? I hope you had a great answer like if you have to ask you probably wouldn't understand, so let me take you predator hunting sometime! And then you'll get it, it can be very addictive you will spend countless hours in the woods. Every time you look out the window of your car or truck it's MAN i bet there are some coyotes over there, and that looks like a great place for a stand too. Sound familiar to anyone of you ? Not as serious as hunting the trophy buck of a lifetime, but a hole lot of fun. If we miss a shot oh well just move on to the next stand location, and try again see what comes in or doesn't . You have got to agree not ever knowing whats next is the most exciting part of hunting predators is it a fox, coyote or bobcat who knows. YOU ARE NOW BEING HUNTED BUY YOUR QUARRY so be on alert. Our sport of predator hunting is definitely on the rise like nothing else, and understandably so. I like seeing through the eyes of a child when they make their first harvest, nothing can be such a humbling experience as the gratitude shown buy them. I hope someday they will in turn take a child hunting in the future and keep the love for the sport. Sure i guess a man could always just sit at home and watch ballgames or stay on the computer all the time NOT !!!

XFORCE

8 pointer
Oct 14, 2009
I absolutely love predator hunting more than any other animal out there. Wish I would have found this 20 years ago. I've been doing it for 6 years or so and I am a predator hunting junkie. I've tried telling my boss who hunts deer,turkey and ducks about how awesome it is and he has went with me on several occasions but never have any luck when he's with me. When I ask him now," he say's I can listen to the radio in my truck." He's referring to my FoxPro call. Almost everytime I go without him I manage to kill something. I shoot him pics soon as I kill em and he will text back thanks for inviteing me!!!!He say's I don't take him to the good farms when I actually take him to my best farms. One day we will get lucky and I just know he will be hooked.

eleaf

Spike
Jan 12, 2010
Wilmore, KY
It's fun and addictive, but as to the original question, for me it's all about game management and helping out farmers a bit.

If coyotes weren't fawn and calf killers, I'd have no intentions on hunting them ever. But killing them, especially considering their populations are skyrocketing here in the east where we have NEVER had large numbers of them until recently, is part of responsible game management. Coyotes hunt deer, turkey, rabbits, squirrels, and other game. If left unchecked, those game species will start to drop in numbers and keeping a good balance will be tougher. If I can help a farmer by killin' a coyote, I feel like I've done something good for his economic situation. We'll call it wealth redistribution, country style.

I distribute my bullets in to coyotes which gives farmers more money because they have more stock to sell!

caveman12

Spike
Feb 2, 2010
Fulton Co
I think the challenge is getting a super intelligent animal to come in and take a look. The shot is really no big deal, but the strategy leading up to the shot (or the bust) is what gets me "ginnin"

RussellHayes

6 pointer
Jan 19, 2011
Midway in woodford co.
I think the challenge is getting a super intelligent animal to come in and take a look. The shot is really no big deal, but the strategy leading up to the shot (or the bust) is what gets me "ginnin"
I agree 100 % it's not like just walking in and getting a perfect shot, there is alot of pre planning on my part and when it presents it's self my adrenaline is pumping!

Glendale John

6 pointer
Mar 25, 2012
Glendale-Sonora Area, Ky.
What modivates me to go predator hunting? Because I want to, because I enjoy predator hunting; offering no further justification nor apologies to anyone for doing such. I'm less and less motived to hunt much of anything else which invloves buying tags.

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
Because we dont score coyotes. They are all trophys no matter how small and are alot more challenging than deer. As the sport grows i fear it will become what deer hunting has and ruin it for the true hunters.

I use to hunt anything that moved from the mid 50's to the early 80's. Nearly 30 years ago I called and killed my first KY coyote. I haven't hunted anything else since that time. I remember the first one as well as I do the last one a few days ago. I still get the same rush today.

You can hunt them everyday if you choose, kill all you want and still be assured that there will be more there to kill next year. There are several farms that I have been hunting for 30 years and I still kill 5-10 coyotes per year off each of them. I do change my locations, times and calls used when I hunt the OLD places but they all still produce a good crop of coyotes year in and year out.

I have hunted coyotes with several other coyote junkies on this forum and it's nice to know that I have a lot of friends to share my passion with. Coyotes are beautiful, smart and a challenge to hunt. I will hunt them until I can't get off the couch. I now hunt for only 5.00 a year and that makes me a cheap coyote junkie.

Good hunting to all.

Yote Yoda USMC

Last edited:

Latest posts