What does the law really say?

Discussion in 'Crossbow Forum' started by AmericanPatriot2001, Dec 29, 2020.

1. ancienthunter

ancienthunter 8 pointer

Dec 25, 2011
    Over the Hill
    If you want a true answer you should contact Ky Fish and Wildlife and Fort Knox Hunt Control and not rely on answers here. I reviewed the Fort Knox regs and I also didn’t see anything that says you can’t but I suspect that if you are stopped by MP’s or GW’s at a checkpoint on base it will be seriously frowned upon. I also don’t know why you would want to transport a loaded crossbow, no different than carrying a loaded gun. they way most crossbows are made they will not go off with the bolt removed so they are much safer.

2. AmericanPatriot2001

AmericanPatriot2001 Fawn

Dec 28, 2020
    FT KNOX
    On Fort Knox, crossbows are a category four weapon which means they are in the same class as bb guns, pocket knives and such. No registration required, no laws preventing me from carrying it loaded or unloaded.

Personally, I could care less about what they frown upon. Ive reached out to both the KFW and Fort Knox Hunt Control and am pending response. To be honest, I forgot my target bolt and hay bale target I normally discharge my crossbow with and I just was lazy. Now that I look back, taking the arrow off the rail would have been smart and I definitely will remember my stuff next time.

xbokilla likes this.
  3. AmericanPatriot2001

AmericanPatriot2001 Fawn

Dec 28, 2020
    FT KNOX
    Got any land with it?

4. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Nope. Postage stamp for a yard. The back is fenced and fairly private though.

5. ancienthunter

ancienthunter 8 pointer

Dec 25, 2011
    Over the Hill
    There is a regulation against hunting within 100 yds of an improved road (paved or rock) so technically if you still have a bolt in crossbow while walking to your vehicle that would be considered as hunting and hunting from a vehicle is also illegal so if your crossbow is loaded in vehicle that could also be considered as hunting so you might care what the MP’s and GW’s would frown upon.