What do you think?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Snareman2, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    I want to use my Bass Pro Points. Which would you prefer?

They have a FoxPro 2Rz Digital Game Caller on sale, was $199.99 - now $169.99, however it is not a remote. or They have a Johnny Stewart PM-4 call for $199.99 and it has remote.

Thanks for the help.

2. kycountryboy

kycountryboy 6 pointer

Dec 30, 2008
    columbia,ky
    i have a fox pro fx3 and like it but if i had a choice between the 2 it would be the js preymaster they have good sounds and like you said they have a remote that counts for a lot

3. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Nothing against the Foxpro but if its not remote you will be wishing it was.

For the money and between the two you mentioned.... Johnny Stewart PM-4 would be my choice. Remote caller.... interchangable sound cards and as mentioned ...Johnny Stewart has some realistic sounds.

For a non remote other than Foxpro's 2RZ and a cost around $99.... Johnny Stewart PM-3 would be my choice. Uses the same type sound cards as the PM-4.. same speaker and I think around 60'ft of speaker wire to get the speaker/sound away from your location. Not as convienent to use as the PM-4 but it will definitely get the job done.

For even less money.... Johnny Stewart Attractor call...Predator 1 or Predator 2. Its a remote call... 50yds of range with 5 non- changable sounds. Their around $39 and I use the Predator-1 and have been fortunate to call / take several yotes with it. Not extremely loud but obviously effective... specifically the rabbit distress. Good.. cheap remote call.

For more cash and probably the best remote caller according to many.... Foxpro's FX3 or even the XR6. You can download sounds from your computer which would be a plus to be able add or remove sounds to customize what you want.

4. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    Thanks guys. I want the remote, so I will probably go with the Johnny Stewart. I like the other Foxpros, I have a good friend that has one. However, I can't see myself paying $500. I really don't want to pay $200, but with my Bass Pro points, I can make it work. I should be trying it out this fall, before trapping season.

5. LBLDOG

LBLDOG 6 pointer

Oct 20, 2008
    murray ky
    I would save another $100.00 and buy the FOXPRO XR-6 with remote and sixteen sounds. I own this one and highly reccomend it!! You have plenty of time before prime time yote season to save another$ 100.oo. I wouldnt own one if it didnt have a remote. This is the advantage of the remote is to get the sound away from your stand. The electronic ones with out a remote you might as well have your mouth calls instead of the electronic. Let us know what you end up with!!!!!!!!!

6. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    hey JD YOU REALLY HELPED ME OUT LAST WINTER WITH THE JOHNNEY STEWART. HEY THE ONLY PLACE I HAVE TO HUNT NOW IS A PUBLIC HUNTING AREA SO THE CHANCES ARE FEW AND FAR BETWEEN . iTS FOOLED THE CROWS HAWKS AND BUzARDS BUT NO LUCK . THINK ITS THE AREA BEING OVER HUNTED. iF YOU WANT TO INCREASE THE VOLUMN JUST BUY AN EXTERNAL SPEAKER WITH SOME AMPLIFICATION, BUT YOU PROBABLY KNOW THAT RIGHT. sPORTSMANS GUIDE HAD SOME ON CLOSEOUTS FOR $10 A WHILE BACK SURE DOUBLES THE SOUND FOR SURE PLUS HAS ABOUT 40 YDS OF MORE CORD HAVE A GOOD ONE !!

7. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    A big portion of my yote hunting this past year was public ground at LBL. It's definitely tougher hunting but my biggest problem was just learning how & where to hunt. It honestly had very little to with hunting pressure and LBL gets plenty of it. In my opinion ...public ground yote hunting is totally different than private ground yote hunting in a lot of aspects. What worked easily on our farm... did'nt work at all at LBL. I'd bet the public ground your hunting is not much different.

So... I would'nt be too quick on giving up on it. I'd just hunt it different.

Jimmy in Ky on here gave me good advice and I was too hard headed to understand right off the bat. He stated to the effect "that all eastern yotes bed in timber". Sounds simple enough but the way I was hunting on public ground..was the opposite of what he said.

I was in habit of using the woods to my back and calling to open areas.... no results. As soon as I reversed this... calling to or in the woods..where they were bedded... things picked up. Began staying high on ridges to help with wind currents... using old logging roads above thickets and basically looking for locations where the ridge fingers intersected with creeks or created multiple drainages. Those drainages or what in most cases gullies... were travel paths for the yotes. Some of the yotes I called up did come in on my level but more times than not... they came in through those swags & drainages.

I'll also have to add.... calling / seeing a yote & killing one is two different things. I got busted plenty but each encounter was better than before. I ended up taking only one yote at LBL before the ice storm and things shut down to any hunting there. This is compared to four I took on our farm from December to mid-March ... its different hunting.. no doubt.

Just hang in there and stay after them.

8. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    Thanks JD appreciate! I have talked to Jimmy too he is great! So do the yotes take over a ground hog hole in the spring to have their pups? Other than thatdothey bed down in Timber? I guess their pretty much the top of the predator chain here so they only have to watch out for us hunters. Would timber with scrub be any better? Will coyotes kill bobcats? good huntin to yall !!!