What do you do?

kybowhunter88

6 pointer
Feb 1, 2008
I've been hunting as often as I can since opening weekend of bow season. I hunt small parcels of land with very little woods and few deer. Throughout the whole bow season I haven't seen 1 single deer. (Before anyone says scent control, I hunt according to the wind) Well, I've been getting pictures of a nice shooter 8 the last couple weeks. I checked my camera today at lunch and he was at my cornpile at 4:30 yesterday afternoon. I was working then and off today. So 4:45 or so rolls around today. I was nervous with anticipation hoping the buck would be back. All of a sudden my cousins pull in on their adjoining farm with atvs and LOUD mufflers. Of course they commense to raisin heck and spook the buck. I'm huntin a 10 acre tract of land and this buck was just getting ready to jump from the neighbors land to our's. He busts out runnin in front of me 30 yards away. I raised up my gun and tried to stop him. He wasn't stoppin so I got him in the scope and shot just as he was jumpin into our creek and into the thick stuff. I looked and looked and couldn't find blood or hair or anything. I feel very confident I missed. The atv riders stopped for just a few seconds and watched me lookin around and they went back to ridin. Last year I started getting another real nice 8 on camera down there. At first it was all night pics and one day he started showin up in daylight. The same cousin of mine who doesn't know about the deer and doesn't hunt decides to go spotlighting on their land opening weekend of gun season. After that night I nor the other neighbor never got another picture of the big buck. This is family we're talkin about so what do I do? It's very frustrating cause I put in a lot of time and effort on a very small parcel of land, and everytime I start getting some confidence built up that I'm gonna get a chance at a nice deer somethin blows it. :mad:

BriarBuster

6 pointer
Nov 16, 2007
NE KY
If they are family, then they should listen to what you have to say. I would try talkin to them first, then maybe the owner of the parcel if that doesnt work. Good luck man, just keep at it.

kybowhunter88

6 pointer
Feb 1, 2008
I'm thinking this buck might be 3 1/2 years old. What are the odds he'll be showing back up in daylight anytime soon? The tract of land I hunt is almost completely surrounded by pasture land. Only one side has woods and thats where he comes from. The guy that owns that property is hopin to get a shot at him too. I'm not feelin real good about my chances.

predator1

12 pointer
Dec 25, 2008
On top of a hill in Ky
This time of year you never know what,or most importantly when, a big buck will step out. Don't give up. I would talk to your cousin, be nice, and ask if during the next few weeks would he not ride because your trying to hunt. If he refuses, NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY! Tell him you hate to accidently shoot him while shooting at a deer that he spooked!!!:rolleyes:

smashdn

12 pointer
Nov 24, 2003
Palmyra, Kentucky
You are going to be hard pressed to keep him on 10 acres of land with or without corn pile. He has more important things on his mind right now. I would say you are very lucky to have a doe that is holding his attention this long. Perhaps he or another good deer will amble through when he gets a whiff of what he is after.

Latest posts