what do you do

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by raktrakr, Jan 11, 2004.

1. raktrakr

raktrakr Cyber-Hunter

Jan 20, 2002
    central ky
    with the yotes y'all kill

2. Injun 22-250

Injun 22-250 Fawn

Oct 5, 2003
    Philpot, Ky., USA.
    If I ever get one I think is pretty enough,I'll get it tanned. But if its ok with the landowner, I,ll just let it lay. If its not ok, I load it up and take it to our woods.

3. varmiterkid

varmiterkid Spike

Jan 15, 2004
    pennsylvania.
    if your to lazy to get the damn thing tanned talk around many people will be happy to take the kid off your hand. if your going to let them lay u might as well not even hunt the things. they are to nice of an animal and if u don;t give a damn about ur trophy let it go and let a real yote hunter take it. i get very pissed when i walk up on a dead yote w/ a small hole in it.

EDITED

4. GameGunner

GameGunner Fawn

Jan 11, 2004
    The reason that I am editing my post is because Bray is right. I shouldn't have said what I did, I just let my emotions get away from me. What I was getting at is that you are only 14 years old. I don't think that you should be telling grown men what do with their hard work. And this is a KY website, you are from Pennsylvania. I believe that there once was a war that was started by a bunch of "KNOW IT ALL" northerns telling southerners how to carry out their lives. [:D]

5. Bray

Bray 10 pointer

Jan 29, 2002
    The Interwebs
    Varmiterkid. With all due respect this is a clean forum where sportsman are free to talk amongst ourselves. There is no need for profanity like that. Although I am not a moderator or an administrator, and have no say in the rules, but I enjoy this clean like it is. Not all people can afford to have every hide tanned. And beleive it or not coyotes are somewhat of a nuisence and as their numbers grow some of our favorite quarries numbers deminish. They put a hurt on the other game populations. I have seen on more than one occasions a herd of cattle huddled around a newborn calf trying to protect it from coyotes. I one of my hunting buddies had his hunting beagle killed by coyotes last mating season. In short you have your oppinions and we each have ours. As a fellow hunter I would appreciate it if the profanity was left elsewhere. It not only makes you look bad but to an outsider it makes us all look bad.

6. bowhunter112

bowhunter112 6 pointer

Sep 1, 2003
    dullville, IN, USA.
    varmiterkid grow up all i can say,by the way how many yotes have u walked up on with small holes in them

7. Salty

Salty 8 pointer

Mar 21, 2002
    Winchester, KY
    Yep..........second what Bray said.

8. ravenfyrewolf

ravenfyrewolf Fawn

Jan 20, 2004
    Marion, OH, USA.
    <font face="Times New Roman"></font id="Times New Roman"><font color="red"></font id="red">
    Hey raktrakr, This is what we do with all are pelts. We went to a local fur buyer and bought some of his old strechers for yotes and started skinning them and steching them out ourselves. We have them all over our house. My wife will make stuff out of them or she will sell them to her friends and local craft shops to sell. We don't make alot off of them but they also don't go to waste! There is always someone out there who will buy them off of you, hell you could even sell them on ebay after you have tanned them! If you have any questions on how to skin them or tan them let me know I will be more than happy to help you!

You must respect life before you can take it!

9. Hunting_Medic

Hunting_Medic 6 pointer

Jan 7, 2004
    Hopkins Co., Ky..
    We all should be grown up enough not to cuss each other, even in a heated debate. But as far as shooting an animal and leaving it.....that is uncalled for. If someone was to go around shooting deer or turkey and let them lay, they would go to jail! Animals are animals no matter what level of the food chain they are on.

I work to support my Hunting habit.

10. Injun 22-250

Injun 22-250 Fawn

Oct 5, 2003
    Philpot, Ky., USA.
    Hunting medic.Out of curiosity,what do you do with the groundhogs you shoot? (if you hunt them)

11. Hunting_Medic

Hunting_Medic 6 pointer

Jan 7, 2004
    Hopkins Co., Ky..
    I only hunt what I can eat. I use to love to squirrel hunt but my wife and kids got burnt out on them, so no more squirrels for me. We eat deer, turkey, rabbit and fish, and I have fun bringing those things home. I don't believe in killing for the fun of it. That is just me and I am not trying to change the way others hunt! But I do find it funny how we can go into the same town, hunt the same area, use the same gun and hunt 2 different animals. One we set limits on, and to go over those limits could put you in jail. While the other animal, we can slaughter every one we can find and nothing would ever be said. I guess it all depends on peoples preception of what an animals life is worth.

I work to support my Hunting habit.

12. Grant

Grant 10 pointer

Nov 25, 2003
    Crittenden County
    I should probably keep my big mouth shut, but I can't. Thats the only thing I have against yote hunting(killing them and letting them lay). Everyone around here says "well there killing all the rabbits and quail". Well true, they are getting some, but you know why there killing them...we have lost alot of rabbit and quail habitat to protect them.
    I just have a hard time killing something for the sake of killing it. I was always brought up to clean and eat what I kill. If I don't want to eat it(or have someone who will), I'm not going to kill it. Granted, you can't eat a yote, but I would like to think part of it would be used for something other than a dead animal in a field.

Now as far as yotes getting calves, it happens. I worked on a dairy farm for several years growing up and yes, the yotes got a few, mostly still born. Should some be culled, well if it gets bad yes, by all means, just try to find something to do with it other than lay in a field and rot.

I'm not comming here to start an argument, just stating my opinion. If we can't come here and state our opinions...whats the point of having the forum.

[​IMG]

13. Blevins Gap Outdoors

Blevins Gap Outdoors 12 pointer

Nov 9, 2002
    Louisville, KY
    I have killed many a groundhog over the years, no one had a use for them so they were left to feed nature. Nothing goes to waste and that includes coyotes. That being said, we should always try to use anything we kill and that includes coyotes. But before I let one walk because I don't have a use for it (like during turkey season) I will dust him because they are varmints the last time I looked.

Take Me To Blevins Gap Outdoors

14. Grant

Grant 10 pointer

Nov 25, 2003
    Crittenden County
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Blevins Gap Outdoors</i>
    <br /> they are varmints the last time I looked.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    While thats true...shouldn't a varmint have the same right to live as any other animal? Just because it may not be a desireable animal to many doesn't mean it doesn't have its place in nature.

[​IMG]

15. Injun 22-250

Injun 22-250 Fawn

Oct 5, 2003
    Philpot, Ky., USA.
    I don't mean to step on toes and by all means it's hard for me to keep my mouth shut sometimes too. I'm strictly a varmint hunter.I don't hunt deer,rabbit,squirrel,turkey, or quail.The MAIN reason I hunt varmints is to help out all the species I've named above.I do have respect for an animals life, but I figure if I'm helping my fellow hunters out by THINNING the population down of this species then so be it.As far as groudhog hunting goes, we raise cattle and have a hay barn.Every year groundhogs get in it and make holes and tunnels in it ruining it.Not to mention if you don't see the hole you almost break your ankle. My dad is getting up in years, and I,m trying to eliminate a bad situation for both of us.Thanks for listening.