What do they call black people in other countries?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by KYBH4Life, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    In Germany and England they are just called Black (or Schwarz - german for black).

The most humorous though is in Haiti. There, most of "our" black folks are called "Bla" (short for Blanc - aka WHITE). The people of Haiti are of West African descent and are VERY dark colored (actually quite handsome/beautiful) and anyone that is lighter than they are is WHITE. Comes as a very rude shock to African Americans that think they are Black and have something in common with the Haitians. They quickly put that false assumption to rest.

2. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Ran into a lady at work that was wearing a shirt that had "Ms. Honey Mustard" on the back. I asked about it. She blushed and told me why. Not what i was expecting but it made sense to her I suppose.

3. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    I think it was Megan Kelly who was interviewing a guy from Africa once, she was trying to be all PC and referred to him as an African-American. He got all ticked off, made it very clear that he is NOT an American, and if you were talking about his race, he is simply "black".

4. orion2000

orion2000 6 pointer

Dec 7, 2013
    I worked with a Caucasian woman from Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe?). Her family left when the government gave all property belonging to the white farmers to the blacks. It made for interesting discussions when we had affirmative action/diversity/multi cultural-ism classes:

"How many African Americans do you see in the class ?"

Everyone would look around and give a count based on skin color.

The instructor would always say "No. Count again."

After a couple rounds of this, the instructor would reveal that Mary was actually "African American". Surprised a number of people, since as mentioned above the connotation in the U.S. is skin color, NOT country of origin...

5. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    The problem here is people sitting around looking for something to be offended over. The culturally acceptable term has even changed over the years. Negro, to colored, to black, to African American. When a new term comes out, the previous ones are null and void. I don't get it.

6. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    I know what a lot of people around here would call em but I'd get banned on here if I wrote it out hahaha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

7. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Its a means to control your dialog.

This hyphen American thing started over a century ago...with Irish-American, Italian-American, Polish-American. It's a big deal in Chicago, NY, etc. So recently--in the last 20 years--not to be out done, we have "African-American". Of course, Africa isn't a country, but a continent...but I guess why bother with silly little details.

When I moved and lived in Chicago after school, a lot of people insisted I should join a German-American club. I just said, "Cripes--I'm a Kentucky-American. The only place that makes a difference there is the county your from".