What Changes Would You Like?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by ptbrauch, Nov 30, 2015.

1. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I hadn't killed a Buck in 4 years. Could have took some small Bucks and some that some guys would put on the wall.
    I don't get caught up in score but look for mature Bucks. Got a nice 4 year old 10 point this year,
    I will take Does. But you see on here EVERY YEAR on this site hunters posting.WHAT WOULD HE SCORE? WOULD YOU SHOOT THIS BUCK? YOU SHOULD HAVE LET THAT ONE WALK ANOTHER YEAR.
    Don't worry what others think or the score.If he catches your fancy BUST EM.
    I have saved money up and traveled West to hunt and didn't use a outfitter many a time.Killed some good Bucks and have ate a tag or two. But getting caught up in SCORE of ANTLERS seems to be what it is all about most of the time. Instead of just enjoying the hunting. I have seen so many stressed out because they don't see or kill a 150 or bigger.

2. Fat_Matt

Fat_Matt 6 pointer

Dec 28, 2011
    Elsmere, KY
    Amen.I constantly have these talks with people around me. Conversations are usually like this "Not a bad buck. He'd be alot bigger in 2 years. You should have waited" Its quite annoying honestly.

3. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    This is my biggest pet-peeve in the hunting community.

As Keith Meador said earlier, the ruler should be left out of deer hunting.

4. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    I wish it was most people's. My deer I've posted on here for four years was referred to as " gonna be nice next year" back in the summer on the trail cam board. He was 125" when I posted him 4 years ago :) He has added very little in the past 2 seasons, they don't all get significantly larger after 3.5 antlercwise. I look for 4.5 year olds but i will shoot whatever I like. This year I had a deer that lost a droptine and another time at what I believe to be 4.5, antlers are funny things.

5. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    I just can't get tied up in a bunch of unimportant and meaningless numbers when it comes to a deer.

I sat out with a couple of personal goals in mind for this season, and I accomplished them. That is more of an experience to me than anything, and the size of the buck I shot didn't even matter.

I wanted to take my first buck with a crossbow, and I wanted to harvest the first buck off of our family farm. I shot a beautiful 8 pointer on Veterans Day, and it was an experience I will never forget, being able to accomplish two goals in the same season. Now the antlers will be in my garage, collecting dust, because they don't matter to me at all. I've got pictures and memories of the experience of accomplishment.

6. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    Finally something reasonable..I been reading on here the most unbelievably selfish jerk comments i thought id ever read. I was born and raised a Kentuckian for 54 years, hunted all my life here and married an ole girlfriend from Indiana in 2014, moved in with her, and you want to grossly limit my ability to hunt my lifelong home state? Or to even hunt it at all! Would serve those who suggest these limits to forever more hear quiet woods!

7. whitleycotrapper

whitleycotrapper 12 pointer

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [emoji38]
    She shot him yesterday evening. Found him this morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,aa

8. hondo1892

hondo1892 6 pointer

Dec 20, 2014
    North of Lake Cumberland
    I lived in Michigan for 47 years and started hunting when I was 12. That was as soon as you could hunt in Michigan back in the 70's. I seen our heard explode in the 80's. Back then getting a doe tag was like winning the lottery. My first year rifle hunting I was fourteen. My Dad and I seen over thirty deer opening day and not one had antlers. Then someone brought a deer in with TB and they went overboard with doe permits. When I left in early 2014 there were many places that you were lucky to see a deer. Seeing a buck was still iffy. I bought a place here in Kentucky in 2005 and have done most of my deer hunting here since then. I have shot more bucks down here than I seen out in the woods my hole hunting career in Michigan. I shoot small bucks and some decent bucks. I have taken one buck back in Michigan in 1998 that was a 130's buck. The nastyist tasting thing I ever ate. I hunt for eating purposes not bragging purposes. I don't care if others go strictly for antler size but don't want you to impose size on me either. I hunt my own land and make my own limits for deer taken off it. No I don't make limits that are illegal. I just keep the harvest to four deer on my place unless there is a butt load roaming around. I think you guy's have a good system down here from what I came from. That said I had hoped Kentucky wouldn't go like many other states and raise the rates high on hunting licences. My Dad is 79 now and can't get around like he used to. I did get him out this year on opening day of rifle season. I would hate for my Dad not to be able to come and hunt with me because he's an out of stater. Reminds me of yoopers that hated down staters back in Michigan. As for changes, I think flintlocks should be the only thing you could hunt anything with. But maybe that's because I build them for a living. I could go on and on about the differences between here and Michigan. But I hate typing. So lets just say the hunting is much better here and management also. No system is perfect. Be happy and thankful for what you have.

9. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    I don't want to jump in this particular debate, but I'm not sure if this picture of your daughter's buck harvest helps your argument that your daughter is perfectly capable of hunting deer. By any ethical standard, She missed where one would expect a hunter to place a crossbow bolt by a good foot. I congratulate her on the harvest and finding the deer.

10. whitleycotrapper

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    She hit right where she was aiming. 15 yards. Deer was facing us with his front feet spread apart head down eating corn. We were on a platform about 10' high looking down on him. She waited a couple minutes for the deer to turn but he never did. Not being able to talk much for him being so close we whispered back and forth and I told her when he puts his head down to shoot him right between the shoulder blades. Not necessarily the best shot to take but I certainly don't feel it's unethical. It provides a great angle straight into the vitals. I've killed several deer shooting the same shot from higher up with my compound. The bolt buried deep into the deer up to the fletching but didn't pass through. Only the tip of the broadhead poked a small hole about one or two ribs up from the back on his belly/brisket area. She only got one lung and I left him after tracking about 200 yards last night with minimal blood but a constant trail of nickel and dime sized spots. Went back thismorning and picked back up at daylight. Found him another 300 yards or so from where I stopped last night stiff as a board so he had been dead quite a while. Would have loved to have taken her with me but she had to go to school that's why she's not in the pictures.

11. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I'd love to see all small game hunting during gun season, and for gun season to not be in Thanksgiving weekend.... Loved bunny hunting with dad this year Thanksgiving weekend....

12. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I just don't know what to say but here goes. Not to bash your daughter but question. That young kid can kill a deer for sure but is she mature enough to know what she is doing. If she is she is one in a million at that age. Or is it she wants to please dad and hunt with him or is dad trying to live thru his daughter like everyone has seen in school activity's. I just have a thing about very young children being put on display to make a parent look good.

13. whitleycotrapper

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    She's well aware of what she's doing. She knows that food doesn't just come from a grocery store. She's my daughter so of course she's one in a trillion to me just like I'm sure any other person views their kids on this forum. I don't need to live through my kids but I dang sure am gonna live for them. I had jury duty that day so I had the rare evening off work that I normally don't have. I picked her up from school because her mother had a doctors appointment after work. First thing out of her mouth was if we could go deer hunting since I didn't have to work because she really wanted to try to kill a buck. She might be wanting to please dad and hunt with him. We don't get a lot of time together and hunting on the weekends for myself forces me to choose between time with my kids or time for myself. I don't think young kids wanting to hunt with dad or mom is a bad thing regardless of age or if it's to please them. It's way better than what I see at work every day with kids that don't respect anyone and use every excuse to try and get away with doing the wrong thing and blame it on someone else. I don't post anything up about her to make me look good. I do it because I'm proud of her and how serious she takes hunting. She cried herself to sleep that night when I didn't find that buck. She said that now the coyotes were going to get it and we wouldn't get any of the meat. Plain and simple if my kids ask to hunt and show me they can consistently put a bullet or crossbow bolt where it need to go the. They get to go whether they're 5 or 15 when it happens. If trying to be a good dad and showing pride in what my kids accomplish makes me look good then I guess I'm guilty as charged on that one.

14. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

NO problem there you got that one in a million kid. Heck I spent many a day following my oldest daughters high school marching band. Got to travel all over the mid west to band shows when she was in high school. That band had won every Marching Band National Championship possible before she first started. And a few again while she was in. They even let me drive one of the equipment trucks all over full of the kids luggage and if we took charter busses rather than school busses I always had a seat on a bus with the kids. A lot of times with a kid sleeping on my shoulder on long trips like from NW Indiana to Saint Pete Fla. Seem like one that got car sick first claimed the seat beside me every time. Nowdays some of the things I did for those kids would be frowned upon, One gal was sick as a dog on the way to Saint Pete, I knew she would be the same way on the trip home so I made a quick trip to a drug store across the street from the hotel we were in and bought some motion sickness pill's. Found her across the street on a park bench waiting on word to load the bus and made her take one. With instructions that if she felt it coming on to come get another pill ASAP. They put her to sleep and she slept near all the way back to Indiana. I might add in her own seat. First thing I did when we got back and off the bus was go to her mom who was waiting for us to arrive and told her I drugged your daughter....she smiled and said Thanks she had called and told me about being so car sick on the way down and I was worried she would be the same way on the way back home. Nowdays they would want to put you in jail for doing something like that. Never on a bus with my daughter but has lots of adopted daughters that were in the band. Lots of them call me Dad even. Wife at one time we attended a school function and a dozen young girls came up and gave me a hug, she said afterwards she never knew a 40 year old man with so many teenage girlfriends. I just tried to treat each one like they were my own boy or girl. Funny on the way back from Saint Pete we stopped in a town to change bus drivers and for the kids to eat lunch. One 16 year old gal an me hit the Piggly Wiggly got us a cart and filled it near full of snacks I was buying for the kids on the bus I was on. One old lady standing in line at checkout ask if she was my daughter and remarked how pretty she was, The gal told her no I am his wife put her arms around me and gave me a big hug, and I said yep I like them young. I thought that old lady was going to drop dead right there in the checkout line. Give that little gal a hug for me the old Grandpa, it will not be long until she finds out about boys and her priority's may change and leave old Dad in the dust....I know your looking forward to that day....NOT...get that big stick set by the door to beat the boys off with.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  15. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Not my concern. . . not my concern. . .not my concern.

Congrats to your daughter. :)