What age is appropriate for a BB gun?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by duckslayer870, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Manhattan

Manhattan 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2011
    London,KY.
    I got my first BB gun when I was 9. My little brother was only 6 and he got one as well. We both got one of those "Red Ryders" But we only got to shoot em "Under Adult Supervision" Dear ole dad made it clear those were not toys. Gun safety was the one thing he really pushed. I reckon to this day getting a BB gun when I was young and having my dad supervise me has made a safer gun carrying camper. So I would say "yep" to getting a son or daughter a BB gun if you will take the time to teach them how to safely handle it. I guess dad thought he had instilled enough gun safety on me so when I was 12 mom and dad gave me 410 for my birthday. So I guess what I'm trying to get at is "Supervision" and safety. Just sayin....Bob

2. rock802

rock802 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    primrose ky.
    I gave my son his first at 5 and his first 22/410 at 6

3. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    A dinky pump rifle, it's entirely fine. I wouldn't give a 5 year old a CO2 powered pistol or a spring powered rifle.

4. dxtsniper

dxtsniper 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2009
    Turn around!
    I got my son a daisy 105b and he is 4 years old getting ready to turn 5. I honestly think a red ryder would be to much for him at that age. The 105b is a smaller version of the red ryder and was about $20 at wally world. I also have a 4yr old nephew who loves to shoot that gun, we all have a great time and it's good to teach them gun safety starting at this age.

5. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    Youll put your eye out!

6. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    My nephew just turned 6 and my B'day present to him was a Red Ryder.

Great gun for a kid his age, primarily because he is not strong enough to cock it - therefore all shooting has to be done with an adult. By the time he is 7 or 8 and strong enough to cock it on his own, hopefully he will have learned enough gun safety that he will not do anything massively stupid (as opposed to minorly stupid - like shooting a robin when he is only supposed to shoot starlings, etc....)

7. My son got his first gun for his first Christmas...when he was 3 weeks old. A tactical solutions 10/22.

8. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    I knew someone would say that.:D

9. KY Colonel

KY Colonel 6 pointer

Mar 25, 2011
    Letcher Co
    my boy will be 4 in jan and i was thinking about getting him one for his bday. i think i was 5 or 6 when i got my red ryder. i was wondering if that was to young to get one and was looking at some yesterday.

10. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    Four years old is a bit young, but go ahead and buy it and give it to him when he turns six.