what age did you guys and girls start taking your kids on youth hunts?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by hollandhunter, Oct 8, 2013.

1. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    My daughter is 4 almost 5 and she is not ready. I have a good feeling it wont be long but I dont know how long for sure. I know it depends on the kid and etc etc. But I was just wondering when did you start taking your youngens. The great thing is I just found out last week by my wife that number 2 is on the way.I love my little girl so much and would not trade her for the world but I tell you it would just be sweet to have a boy and a girl but either way two girls will be great too. I live for the days I finally get to take them hunting. My little girl goes with me now hanging camera putting out feed, hanging stands, watches me if I kill something dress it and cook it. She is hooked and dont even know it yet. ha :) Good luck to all by the way. An if you once took a kid but dont anymore because they are all grown up I wanna say THANK YOU! The best times I have as a kid were hunting with my dad and gpa.

2. slyfly76

slyfly76 6 pointer

Mar 12, 2011
    I used to take mine when they were 5 and 6 they would sit with me in a ground blind during muzzle loading it was a lot of fun for them, we would bring snacks and a game boy. Lol I didn't turn them loose with the gun until I was sure they were proficient with a youth 243 which was around 9 yrs old. But I took a buddy's son one yr and he was only seven and we were successful on a 5 pt buck but let me tell that boy was a natural born hunter, he sat stone still and was a good shot and killed many deer in the years afterwards and some good ones too with his bow.

3. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I thought I might start taking mine some this yr in a blind like you did with out a gun just to let her see whats up. She loved my phone so if she gets bored I have a remidy ha :)

4. slyfly76

slyfly76 6 pointer

Mar 12, 2011
    Yeah if you take snacks and drinks you can make it enjoyable for them, plus they like to look out the windows and see squirrels and whatever else happens along.

5. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Took my daughter in the backyard when she was ten and she got a doe. Started taking my son when he was 6 I think. He got his first deer, a 5 pt, last year across the road from the house when he was 8. My daughter didn't want to hunt last year saying "let me be a girl". Kinda bummed me out be she is wanting to go again this year so I am pumped for it. She is 12 now

6. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    I started mine when he was 5. He killed a doe that year. He killed a 7pt the next yr. But I was very confident in his shooting. But all kids are different. I make sure to take snacks and his tablet. Main thing is make it fun. That way they dont get bored anddont want to go back.

7. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Started both of mine when they were 8.Oldest son took his first Deer a Doe with a Bow when he was 9.His first a Doe with a Gun at 8 years old.My youngest took his first Deer with a Bow a 8pt Buck the first year at 8 years old.

8. captain71

captain71 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2011
    Western Ky
    I'm taking my ex wife daughter son this weekend his only six His been shooting the 223 and to my surprise he has shot pretty well with it.

9. NonTyp

NonTyp 12 pointer

Apr 9, 2006
    Horntown
    All of mine started when they were eight.

10. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Hunter started at 7, Michaela at 8, and Potroast at 6. All had been shooting a variety of guns at the range for a couple of years before they started and all three had spent considerable time afield with me before their first year shooting as well.

11. kywallace69

kywallace69 12 pointer

Aug 18, 2008
    Zone 1
    My son was 9. I'm a deer nut so he heard too much all the time about deer so before that age he heard so much and it was hunting all the time so it kinda aggravated him any time he heard me talking about hunting. Now he is almost 14 so he likes it and we have fun together.

12. mudd

mudd 6 pointer

Sep 1, 2006
    Pendleton County
    Taking my 10 year old daughter on her fist one this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't know which one of us is more excited.

13. Bowhunter.35

Bowhunter.35 8 pointer

Jul 2, 2012
    Louisville
    My Dad took me when I was 6 and I shot a doe with a single shot .223. He created a passionate hunter by doing that.

14. as said by many, they had tagged along for years and shot several times. son killed his first deer at 9 and daughter her first at 11.

15. finelydeerhunting

finelydeerhunting 8 pointer

Nov 7, 2006
    Finley, KY
    Taking my son for his first youth hunt this weekend. He has went with me several times, sat in the blind and watched me hunt. I'm looking forward to this weekend. :) He is 7 and has been shooting his Rossi 243 really good. He is a dead eye at 30 yards (far as I'm letting him shoot this year). I have stuck with my guns on what I said, when he is big enough to handle the gun and recoil holding it by himself, that's when he'll go. He's been shooting with me shouldering the gun for a few years (target shooting), but now he has graduated and doing it alone, and I couldn't be prouder. He gets the gun on target, I cock the hammer and flip it off safety, give him the go ahead to squeeze the trigger. He loves it and has been burning up his life size deer target. :)