wetlands assistance

Discussion in 'Fish & Wildlife Questions' started by DEERMD, Jul 29, 2014.

1. DEERMD

DEERMD 8 pointer

Nov 21, 2003
    campbellsville, ky
    Recently was told by a friend that F&W would help plan and pay a wetlands project on your private farm if you are looking to dam up a spring or creek on your farm. We have a fairly large spring that begins in the middle of the farm and creates a small stream that runs in to a creek off of our farm, I was interested in damming this stream up to create a good size pond/small lake to better the habitat on our farm. Is there any truth to this? and how does this work? If it is true, what is the catch this sounds too good to be true!

2. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    Sounds to me like you want a pond, not a wetland? I'm not aware of any financial assistance, but you can get advice-planning through either KDFWR or NRCS, depending on what you want.

Contact your PLB, I see your from Campbellsville, probably would be Chris Mason depending on what county. I'm not sure if the "sticky" here is still a live link since the KDFWR web site changed. fw.ky.gov will get you his contact info..

3. DEERMD

DEERMD 8 pointer

Nov 21, 2003
    campbellsville, ky
  4. CKYoutdoors

CKYoutdoors 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2011
    The wetlands reserve program (WRP) is what I think you are referring to. They will come and design it and pay you a certain amount depending on the area size. The department contracts it out and then they plant grasses and trees. It is a pretty good deal if you don't ever plan to do anything else with it