Wet but fun hunt

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by bgkyarcher, Jan 12, 2020.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Went bunny hunting with Dad and Bubbles this morning. It was wet, but we jumped 8 and killed 5. Had shots at every rabbit we jumped.... Dogs did good. Dogs got on a deer, and Dad's youngest dog is still out there. Dad left his vest, and is headed back down there in a little bit. His third time.... I'm going to have to start packing the collar controller. Hopefully he shows back up. wabbit.JPG

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Nice big mess!

3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    If my counts are correct, and I think they are, we've killed 47 this year. Been a good year....

Carl likes this.
  4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Dad got his dog back. A guy called Daddy and said he was sitting in his lap. A good 3 miles from where we were hunting. It pays to have your contact info on their collars!

Edit, looking at the map, it was only 3/4 mile.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Feedman, barney and dirtstalker like this.
  5. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

Glad he got him back! Yall had a great hunt!

bgkyarcher likes this.
  6. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Yes we did. Jumping 8 this late in season is a great hunt for sure.....

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    That dog is part cat--- 9 lives. This makes the third time we've lost him, twice over night......

8. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

I had one that "I" couldn't break off deer. I spent a whole evening intentionally dropping him on deer. He ran every single one I put him on and some were 30 minutes apart. Dumbest beagle I ever owned. Ran him without a collar on our last hunt together. He left out on deer and never came back. He was good enough on rabbits that i turned down $400 for him. That was where two fools met!

Drahts likes this.
  9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    That hot scent is hard for them to lay off.... Hounds will run a deer, that's just natural. They can be broke. Bubbles broke his two from it. I was on the other side of a very large thicket when it went down today. The deer had run out about 15-20 minute earlier. Dogs had just finished running a rabbit that holed up after a miss. All the dogs opened up in the thicket and took off. Ran right by Daddy in a picked cornfield. Same way the deer went earlier. He knew they weren't on a rabbit. Instead of hitting the collar right off the bat, he started blowing his whistle.... Bubbles buzzed his dogs and they came back. Three of our's came back, but ol Jack didn't.... I will have to discuss with Daddy before next trip. He was upset, so no reason to go through it today. But he's gonna have to start shocking the shit out of him as soon as he knows he's on a deer. That's the only way to break him from it. He's damn good on rabbits. Luck's gonna run out one of these times.....

Gooser, HCDH66 and Chilly like this.
  10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I played high school basketball and baseball against the guy that called daddy. Good friend of mine. He didn't know it was my dog until I pinged him on FB.

11. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Sound like good hunt. Good job. Glad ya got dog back.
    when I was a kid dad raised beagles. Had a bunch. I wanna say 16. Killed hell out of rabbits. If dad had one to get on a deer and he caught up to it that dog didn’t come back:eek:

Gooser likes this.
  12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Hot dog!!!! My friend that found our dog today, pinged me on FB. Asked if we had plenty of places to hunt. I said, "Uh, not really, we've lost several places. Do you have places to hunt, and would you like to go some?" He said, "Yes, my cousin owns several acres, and I'd love to go." Winner!!!!!

Gooser, Drahts, HCDH66 and 1 other person like this.