Well, there goes Sportsman’s Warehouse!

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by RLWEBB, Dec 22, 2020.

1. BigBenny

BigBenny 6 pointer

Jan 14, 2021
    Lex
    I understand cutting a small family owned business some slack due to government incompetence, but a not corporation worth 6.5 billion dollars. I am being cordial to the employees making <20 dollars an hour because they probably are overwhelmed, but the company as a whole sucks. This goes past the year of the China virus

1wildcatfan likes this.
  2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Couldn't agree more. When the Redhead brand hits Sportsman, don't what I'll do. IMO, BPS is fine for their fishing gear even though I rarely visit their stores. Their branded clothing and footwear was far inferior in quality than Cabelas.

3. BigBenny

BigBenny 6 pointer

Jan 14, 2021
    Lex
    i agree. I absolutely love my cabelas Alaskan guide gear and other garments I’ve got from them, all backed by lifetime warranty, I doubt the warranty would still be worth anything today though. I wouldn’t wear anything redhead if it was given for free. You’re right about BPS fishing gear being decent considering quantum manufacturers their line of products

4. Brown Dogs Matter

Brown Dogs Matter 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    It's not. Already dealt with that a year or so after the merger. They honored things for a few months, then changed policy. I buy from Mack's and Rogers mostly.

5. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Morning Benny... mentioned you to a gentleman just a few days ago, whom had presented himself to me regarding some personal business. Like myself, he is a native Floridian born within the same city having since lived many places, and one of our business backgrounds as well as at least one hobby happen to be closely related. My college majors differ from that of his own, with your chosen major being more closely related to his, which was the reason that your person came to be briefly mentioned.

The gentleman, no doubt, possesses a high paying salary with benefits via an entity subcontracted by yet another entity (hereinafter referred to as "parent entity") and the worth of both easily dwarf the worth that you mentioned. At one point, we began discussing an error having been made by the parent entity having subcontracted his employer's services (negatively impacting me), prior to the strangling governmental regulations having been mandated for one year now. Without going into further and unnecessary details about such with you, we then began discussing the moronic lack of cost effectiveness within the parent entity and quickly agreed that it was so vast in size and operation, that its left hand frequently did not know what its right hand was doing.

Such can often be the peril of vast entities with vast revenue, with much loss taking place in the process and placing their book value near or in the red (assets verses liabilities). Couple that with sudden governmental regulations negatively impacting operations on a grand scale, it should be quite easy to understand how, in analogy, a huge aircraft carrier could potentially sink before all aircraft had time to land upon it, forcing drastic measures be taken in order to prevent all. That, in essence, could be the reasoning behind what is occurring with the entity mentioned by the OP and surely countless others.

I can tell you, and with certainty, that I found it to be so much easier to manage my own little sole proprietorship, before quickly expanding into that of s-corporation, then multiple s-corprations, and then finally one large LLC... When an entity grows, such as the one being discussed by the OP here, and rapidly at that, it is of utmost importance to remain streamlined during the process and thereafter. Perhaps such did not occur with Sportsman's Warehouse, and then with the governmental mandates in play for so very long ultimately forcing its hand into what is its new reality.

While I could have easily provided you with various examples, and strictly due to my legal and accounting backgrounds having caused me to assist a vast many entities over the years, I somehow think the ones utilized may possibly make the most sense to you in way of explanation of my previous post; then again, I currently remain half asleep and realize that I should have refrained until around the midnight hour, in order to better express myself in writing, with as nocturnal as a creature that I happen to be (simply did not wish to be rude to you via delay in response; hence, I gave it a toss... :confused:..) Have a great day at school and study hard, as well as a wonderful weekend. I sense good things for you within your future.

6. BigBenny

BigBenny 6 pointer

Jan 14, 2021
    Lex
    thanks for the corporate lesson, although it doesn’t ease my burden of being kayak-less. I think the moral lesson is to spend the extra dollar for things at a mom and pop rather than pump up corporations. I got a piece of paper that said that same last sentence of yours in a Chinese cookie one time, I appreciate it.

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  7. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Well, it looks like it's going to be like this in a few years or less. Herters, Gander Mt., and a few other sports stores of the past, all tanked due to some co-agreement with other same type business. With what is occurring currently with shortages of ammunition & firearms, reloading supplies with no end in sight, I am surprised this hasn't happen sooner with these on-line/mail order businesses.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  8. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    That is exactly my concern. The large corporations colluding with the goobermint to further the current oligarchy we have. It will only make abolishing constitutional rights that much easier.

riverboss likes this.
  9. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Man I hate to see this! I hate BPS and Cabela's, piss poor stores with terrible reloading selection, Sportsman's was my go to store!

Lady Hunter and 1wildcatfan like this.
  10. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Their "new definition" of a lifetime warranty is a joke. I've ranted on here enough about them. I will not shop at either BPS or Cabelas.

ETA - Benny, I'd cancel the order and find a kayak somewhere else. Good luck !!

RLWEBB and Brown Dogs Matter like this.
  11. BigBenny

BigBenny 6 pointer

Jan 14, 2021
    Lex
    well I went to the store today with the intention to rip someone a new ass.. the first thing I see driving up to the store is the exact kayak I ordered displayed for sale out front. Walked in and told them they are 30 days late getting mine to me, and I’d be taking that one. The manager of that store is a stone cold fox and she lightened my mood :rolleyes: so I got my yak and got the hell out of there. What a shame that the store went to crap, I love those stores.. seeing all the cool mounts never bores me. Had a different type of mount on my mind in that store today though ;)

JR in KY, Munson, bondhu and 4 others like this.
  12. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Did you offer her a ride or take some trade for your troubles?

BigBenny likes this.
  13. BigBenny

BigBenny 6 pointer

Jan 14, 2021
    Lex
    I definitely should have made a move, but history has shown me that women that hot who work in retail are on a different tier of batshit crazy than most. they fall somewhere between nurses and strippers on that scale and I just don’t need any of that in my life right now:oops:

bondhu and Feedman like this.
  14. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Batshit crazy women need some loving too!!!
    At least once

EdLongshanks and BigBenny like this.
  15. BigBenny

BigBenny 6 pointer

Jan 14, 2021
    Lex
    The problem is that “once” is usually good enough to turn into more than once and ruin my life :D

bondhu likes this.