welding hoods

JonDunn

10 pointer
Dec 26, 2005
Up the holler
Miller Elite here. Only thing I dislike about it, the lense must be a little soft because they wont take much splatter etc. They will last about 2 weeks, welding 10-12 hours a day. Doesnt bother me changing them though, work pays for them.

If your not wanting to spend alot, just get an old Jackson. Myself, once I put on an autodark, Ill never go back to another.

Redlined

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2005
In The Tree Next To Ya
What he said, if you're gonna weld every day spend the money and get a good speed lens. Your eyes will thank you after several years. Flash burns suck and speed lens' will stop you from having to pop your hood every time before strike an arc if you've got multiple welds.....

KYBOY

12 pointer
Apr 21, 2005
Floyd,co..Kentucky
been welding for about 20 years..Auto dark for me. Just easier..I didnt have one for about 10 years in, didnt know what I was missing..

rock802

10 pointer
Dec 13, 2005
primrose ky.
I have to agree with all of the above, my preveious job was a fabricator for 12 yrs. once you use a auto dark you will never go back to the old style.

ive got 18 year under my belt in the trade.ive had 2 jackson autos an got about 2 yrs use outta them a peace. i got a hobart about a year ago an its done messing up.i dont like the miller hoods when you set an burn 3/16 8018 to 10018s for 12 -14 hrs a day or 1/16th flux core they cant take the heat.i think thats whats wroung with the hobart. im looken at the 9100x an xx speedglass.im tired of haven to buy a new one every year an half or 2.

NonTyp

12 pointer
Apr 9, 2006
Horntown
ive got 18 year under my belt in the trade.ive had 2 jackson autos an got about 2 yrs use outta them a peace. i got a hobart about a year ago an its done messing up.i dont like the miller hoods when you set an burn 3/16 8018 to 10018s for 12 -14 hrs a day or 1/16th flux core they cant take the heat.i think thats whats wroung with the hobart. im looken at the 9100x an xx speedglass.im tired of haven to buy a new one every year an half or 2.

Look at it like this, even the best tools money can buy will wear out if you use them everyday. I just bought another miter saw, 4th one in 8 years.

NonTyp

12 pointer
Apr 9, 2006
Horntown
Which one did you get? We need a new one

I use a 10" DeWalt for 80% of my work. I get good service out of them. The one we are using now is almost 2 years old and the electric break started messing up. I had new brushes put in it and ordered a new one the same trip. What will you cut with it mostly?

pentail

Bacon
Staff member
Sep 25, 2002
Savoring the smoke
I use a 10" DeWalt for 80% of my work. I get good service out of them. The one we are using now is almost 2 years old and the electric break started messing up. I had new brushes put in it and ordered a new one the same trip. What will you cut with it mostly?

We cut mostly treated material for decks with ours. Our current one is Hitachi but it is wearing out

ribsplitter

Cyber-Hunter
Jan 19, 2004
Greenup, ky, USA.
Huntsmann welding hood with a slide in auto darkening lens by far the best hood made there light and durable and if you take half care of them youll never buy another one . If your going to wear it much at all youll appreciate the weight of it . As far as the lenses Ive got a jackson ive had for about 10 years and I make my living welding , again if you keep the batteries fresh and clean cover lenses on it it will last a long time.

surfshark46

6 pointer
Jul 31, 2010
Lexington Ky
Our shop has a Miller Elite, and it phases in and out while using it, changed batteries still couldnt get it to quit phasing in and out. Went back to the Jackson passive lens 10 shade. The old way still works just fine.

KYBOY

12 pointer
Apr 21, 2005
Floyd,co..Kentucky
Ive used Jacksons and Millers, like em' both very well...Now dont laugh me off the forum but I have a northern tool auto hood that I got for my birthday about 5 years ago..Its been a dang good helmit..All of my own welding has been done with it and thats a lot too...I didnt expect a lot but I have been pleasently supprised..

Latest posts