Week 2 Bull Firearm

WXman

Fawn
Sep 27, 2021
Central Kentucky
Good luck making sense of how KDFW does the rest of the steps! Hopefully you can end up with a decent hunt unit. I chose my 3 preferred units last year and didn't get ANY of them! Which also meant I didn't get any regulated areas! Totally got hosed! I saw zero elk and 35 ATVs riding around in the "hunt" units!

perrymax

10 pointer
Jun 6, 2002
Bullitt Co, Ky.
ATV use and outfitter overload have made elk harvest much harder then it should be.
Guides should not be allowed on public land and regulated areas in KY. I've heard stories of guys on ATV scaring elk onto private on purpose.

I'm looking at elk regulated areas that dont permit guides or ATV use

LuckyMan

6 pointer
Apr 29, 2018
Everywhere!
There are very few RA slots available. Most of the RA units only have 1 opening for each of the bull rifle seasons. That is a lot of acreage to only have 1 hunter on during the rifle season. It will be great for the person who gets drawn for that RA though.

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
Yes, drawing the tag is only the beginning. Scouting to find elk then actually getting drawn for the area you find elk in and want to hunt will be tough. There are 75 rifle tags in each rifle season. 75 hunters split between 6 different units. You have to do your homework to figure out which unit to apply for, then if you get drawn for a different unit you could have to start all over scouting in a different unit. I have already been putting boots on the ground scouting. I have also been asking anyone that I have ever met or talked to that has elk hunted here for information. I am born and raised eastern Ky and still have family there but that doesn’t make it any easier.
Do you have your plans in order? Its a pretty daunting task.

Latest posts