Week 2 Bull Firearm

Gixxerjoe04

10 pointer
Dec 14, 2010
Lexington, KY
My daughter was drawn also for 2nd bull rifle. I am interested in a guide that can get me access to private land and a bull. Don't need anything else from him.

[email protected]
Well you’ll have to wait and see what zone she gets drawn for. You can contact guides now and they’ll usually require a non refundable fee to reserve a spot with them, tell you what zones to put in your preference. But that doesn’t mean you’ll get drawn where they have land and you could lose your deposit and have to find a new guide, happened to me last year.

RLWEBB

12 pointer
Nov 30, 2005
Staffordsville, KY
Well you’ll have to wait and see what zone she gets drawn for. You can contact guides now and they’ll usually require a non refundable fee to reserve a spot with them, tell you what zones to put in your preference. But that doesn’t mean you’ll get drawn where they have land and you could lose your deposit and have to find a new guide, happened to me last year.
Congrats to all who were drawn!!! The above is right on, it all depends on what unit you get.

BlkDog

Fawn
May 21, 2022
VA
Congrats LuckyMan and to your daughter perrymax!

I have heard drawing the tag is only the first step, and this all comes down to the unit draw that determines where you'll hunt.

Kind of crazy. I have been trying to sort all the regs, processes and still attempt to secure a guide while trying to cover my bases in case I can't get a guide and have to go DIY.

Last edited:

perrymax

10 pointer
Jun 6, 2002
Bullitt Co, Ky.
This guide crap has turned into insanity!!!! People paying $4000 -$14,000 for a elk guide in Ky????

For that money, you can get a landowner tag and have an experiance of a lifetime in awesome western landscape out west. You can get a gen tag in Wy with 3 preferance points and find elk on your own for $1000.

LuckyMan

6 pointer
Apr 29, 2018
Everywhere!
Yes, drawing the tag is only the beginning. Scouting to find elk then actually getting drawn for the area you find elk in and want to hunt will be tough. There are 75 rifle tags in each rifle season. 75 hunters split between 6 different units. You have to do your homework to figure out which unit to apply for, then if you get drawn for a different unit you could have to start all over scouting in a different unit. I have already been putting boots on the ground scouting. I have also been asking anyone that I have ever met or talked to that has elk hunted here for information. I am born and raised eastern Ky and still have family there but that doesn’t make it any easier.

Latest posts