Weather

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by riverboss, Apr 14, 2020.

1. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Supposed to be a wet weekend!
    Looks like alittle field hunting may be in order, anyone have luck hunting woods during wet rainy days?
    I love to run and gun and haven't been able to hunt that way in yrs due to bad knees,
    Been waiting to get after them and Chase them this yr with my new ones.

2. Shelby21

Shelby21 6 pointer

Mar 21, 2019
    Louisville
    I don’t think we will be dealing with all day rain scattered showers but with the lower temps I think that will cut down the gobbling considerably next week with a more favorable stable weather pattern should be great hunting.

riverboss likes this.
  3. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    If its a complete rainy day, fields are where its at. Occassional rain showers, the woods are still productive unless the area is real thick. Im a woods hunter preferrably, but i will hunt fields if i have to, all depends on the farm, the weather, and most of all, what the birds are doing.

BootsOn27 and riverboss like this.
  4. Joe Bryan

Joe Bryan 8 pointer

Jul 4, 2006
    Nelson County
    Bigger concern is the possible hard freeze tonight! Lots of trees at or near bloom! Oaks are showing that yellow tint ready for pollination and that could mean trouble for our mast crop for the fall!

5. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Yep. That freeze concerns me too

riverboss likes this.
  6. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Guarantee a lot of hens are on the nest so the hard freeze is a concern. As far as “the fields being where it’s at” we got nothing but hardwoods to hunts so....
    Right now, I’m CKy it’s showing Saturday as dry but rain Sunday. I’ll be there! Regardless.

riverboss likes this.
  7. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Friday night is going to be a long one! I know I won't sleep a wink!

woodsman92 likes this.
  8. woodsman92

woodsman92 10 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    I will be restless also. I haven’t awaited a season so long before it came in like I have awaited this season since I was a little kid haha.
    I will definitely be roosting birds Friday evening to know where to start first thing Saturday

Trapper Delk likes this.
  9. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    I like that roosting day before hunting

10. woodsman92

woodsman92 10 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    Yeah finding a bird the night before really doesn’t help me go to sleep either.

Trapper Delk likes this.
  11. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    I use to hunt a farm owned by little old lady just me then people got to seeing turkeys and asking her she couldn't say no so I put one to bed on Friday set close next morning packing him out 7 30 Saturday evening had one them hearing aids sit on my 4 wheeler beside road could hear one on end of ridge Sunday morning pack #2 out them other guys hated me :D

BootsOn27 and riverboss like this.
  12. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

I always like getting one roosted the night before. Get in position EARLY next morning. About flydown, some late arrival walks right into my set up and azzes things up!!

13. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Where I hunt roosting them has worked for me very few times. I don’t know if it’s predators or what but I swear they move at night. Of course it’s easy to bump them where we hunt too. Same with the deer.

14. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

It’s been several years now but I had made a post on here about me basically roosting a few on a Sunday evening then played hooky from work on Monday, hiked to the back 40 in the pitch black, got all set up just knowing a few would fly down and I’d call them in then when it’s barely light enough to see and not even the first gobble someone starts calling like crazy probably no more than 100 yds from me. Talk about frustrating. One of the reasons I took off was because both Sat and Sun morning of opening weekend I could hear people calling all around.

15. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    If raining FIELD. I got 2 Deer house I can sit in stay dry.