weather updates-check in

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by bgkyarcher, Feb 15, 2021.

1. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    No ticks here, but I've killed 2 wasps in the house and stepped on at least a dozen outside in the last 72 hours. I don't think the hard freeze affected insects in the least !!

00noturkey, xbokilla and drakeshooter like this.
  2. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Sunday night I was coming home and saw frogs in the road.

barney and drakeshooter like this.
  3. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Wholly crap
    That is early

4. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Spring peepers were calling Saturday and Sunday night in the rain

00noturkey and barney like this.
  5. Brown Dogs Matter

Brown Dogs Matter 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Heard them here in TN last week. They're active on my ponds and can overpower the radio when driving by certain ditches, lol.

6. Brown Dogs Matter

Brown Dogs Matter 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Ran a hunt test this weekend with my retriever club - one flight had to be paused in order to deal with a cottonmouth.

Meatstick and xbokilla like this.
  7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Wus Winters. I’ve said it time and time again. For several years now, even our “bad” winters have been maybe 2 weeks of winter weather. Sure we get more than the southern states but we just don’t have bad winters. We’ve had earth worms crawl all over my back patio and sidewalks/driveway. I haven’t been to my hunting ground yet but I’d bet the turkeys are on fire.

littlebear likes this.
  8. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    We continue to have flooding around here with crest expected on Friday around 8' over, exactly as last year, giving me an idea of where all overflow will potentially reach, being that it lasted forever last year due to continual rains. The good thing is that my locale is expected to remain dry for the next six days, and its sunny with a high of around 64°F forecast for later today, giving Tillville a chance to become less moist. I personally consider anything below 80°F to be arctic temperature and am currently freezing with the door ajar, but at least it's slowly becoming warmer. We are to hit lows of the freezing mark later within the week.

9. Tankt

Tankt 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    Worms in my driveway yesterday

10. Yeah I weeded out part of my big raised bed yesterday afternoon and it was full of earthworms. I guess they just dive to the 50s degree zone and hang out when it gets cold lol.

11. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    I moved some dirt yesterday that did have a lot of worms in it. That is until the girls came through and ate them all.

barney, Drahts and drakeshooter like this.
  12. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    I simply did a half walk upon the highland yesterday afternoon. Ground still moves and moves beneath my feet in many places.

Quite a few limbs much longer than myself to be pulled up the hill and into Pyroville for some fun, along with many others once it dries out some more. Have made mental note to have Mr. 40 Acre Pond finally swing by with a bucket truck and a few men very soon, so that cavities do not develop from all and deadwood anything else while up there. Leaves galore will remain a while longer to do their job.

The mega birds around here did not waste time taking care of anything crawling; I saw nothing but wasn't looking for such, either. Noticed my daffodils within Bunnyville have already formed many buds and are up around 6" max, while the naked lady lilies had already shot up to around 3-4" max and my beautiful rhododendron has tons of formed buds and a few azaleas do, as well. A few more hollyhocks have sprung up, as well. Might prune the blackberry jungle later this week. Didn't hangout there too long due to a slight wind having made it nippy yesterday.

Will likely clean the bluebird boxes later today and begin regularly monitoring them once again. I checked one yesterday and it looked to have possibly had new nesting material added, but I could not lift the door all the way for having added a thick reducer, after finding one of my dead males in there during the snowstorm. Will have to engineer something else for it.

13. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    There is a black topped side road that lays beside 45 acres I own and when heavy warm rain hits , It looks like straw laying all over the road. They are night crawlers laying everywhere. They are hard to pick up off the blacktop but I have a broom and one of those dust pans on a handle . I just walk down and sweep them up . I use any kind of light because they can not get away.
    I am glad there is not hardly any traffic on this road to run over and squish them.

barney and Trapper Delk like this.
  14. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    The boys went out sunday night and caught a butter bowl full of crawlers to feed their pet snappin turtles. Said it looked like their was thousands out there.

barney likes this.
  15. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Heard a turkey gobble 3 times this morning in Oldham County. Big Frost and chilly

mudhole crossing likes this.