weather updates-check in

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by bgkyarcher, Feb 15, 2021.

1. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    I can imagine how that could be possible and simply via much experience with communication failures, during large scale disasters. Although much has changed since my very first storm within a vast metropolitan area encompassing five counties having been seriously impacted via widespread and high level destruction, that general area of Eastern Kentucky may possibly still be impacted by similar difficulties as back then, and only due to its beautifully remote locale as well as lack of necessary revenue for modernization. From the perspective of many, whenever a disaster impairs function or existence of cell towers, life as previously known comes to an utter stop, as a new world of old unfamiliar to most immediately begins, which results in quite a shell-shock for the majority.

That majority, regardless of which position they may happen to fall upon the new spectrum (victim/responder, with the understanding that each role can quickly interchange due to the heightened risks) must quickly learn how to adapt to his/her sudden new world, without the luxury of modern day communications, etc., and typically for extended periods of time or later via intermittent interruptions of all.

It used to be that we had only Builders 1 on Nextel cell phone/two-way radios, which were primarily utilized, but it was quickly discovered such would not suffice during disasters. Builder's 2 was eventually developed and marketed toward the construction industry. Thereafter, all utilized Nextel Direct Connect codes (although frequently within the field, I had to program all during that first disaster.. what a 17 hour friggin nightmare on no sleep within the command center).

Those were set strictly upon the Builder's 2 network during disasters, leaving the vast majority of the public on the Builder's 1 network, which resulted in freeing up unnecessary bottlenecking of communications to some degree, but if the tower was damaged or destroyed, it really did not matter one way or the other in the end, for whatever specific coverage zone. Once more users finally regained tower access via various power restorations etc., then the bottlenecking would simply occur and still does so to this very day, just more so within rural areas. I have even noticed such occur all the way over here a few times, with no storms even remotely in sight, much less any disasters.

If you happened to be within that dead zone, as we casually refer to it, you simply lacked contact with the outside world you once knew to be real, especially when coupled with destroyed power systems in one form another. It did not matter what end of the spectrum you were, victim/responder. Many within remote rural areas, such as quite a few within Eastern Kentucky by way of example right now, would find such shocking and difficult to adapt to these days, but nowhere near as those living within vast metropolitan regions, I assure you, lol...

Even the wildlife, livestock, and pets are negatively impacted in different manners between rural and metropolitan locales. It simply becomes much like the wild wild west of old or even prehistoric age in some metropolises, with no law nor order and every man and woman for his or her own self in many instances at first, and quite often long thereafter. All pretty much depends upon type and scale of disaster, along with precisely wherein it occurs Regardless, there always exists various stages to it. It's as predictable as clockwork in that sense, for the most part.

City folks almost always fair far worse for wear during all, as do most critters around them. Florida natives are basically an exception due to being well educated via much experience with numerous hurricanes, as well as other southern natives elsewhere, but it really just depends upon various factors. Those tourists and new residents are another matter entirely...

One common element is the coordination of various types of outside responders, when communications are down or merely negatively impacted for all. It becomes just like many military operations with no communication, while others are quickly implemented as soon as possible. No communications, logistics become impaired via no fast movement for most is my point. Such may be a contributing factor to their lack of knowledge power had not been restored at the time of the call.

We have satellite phones these days, which greatly assist with regards to responders of any kind and level; however, problems most certainly occur with those, as well. I found years ago working that first storm mentioned, while still wet behind the ears as could be but in upper management of the entire operation, that the key to getting through all was prayer, patience, as well as one grand sense of seriously warped humor, for it all. Something my grandmother had taught me long before then, and I most certainly implemented all yet again while working Hurricane Michael, just over two years ago niw within Florida.

Such was precisely where Mr. 40 first caught sight of me within a parking lot beside a flipped 18- wheeler tractor trailer surrounded by utter destruction, far beyond what one could imagine nor possibly navigate. No doubt that I looked to be quite out of place within that surreal scene, before he approached me with request for necessary information. I had beat him in with my men, and he had just arrived. He returned my call earlier today.

He is not currently within East Kentucky assisting all, but I know that he would sincerely prefer to be. Instead, he is sadly burying his beloved mother today. All should be thankful to God that they are merely suffering a continued loss of power etc., while not that dear gentleman's type of painful loss. My heart goes out to him.

Those previously forecasted heavy rains have yet to arrive within X-WKY. Maybe I shall have one more beautiful snowstorm this season, for it all. No idea, have yet to check forecasts and weather.

Regardless, perhaps those still affected by the previous winter snowstorm will have good weather, themselves, making it much easier upon those who are currently working beyond hard in assisting a return to life as previously known. It's never fun working away from home for extended periods of time and within the rain, when overworked to begin with, not to mention more dangerous. It simply elevates risk assessments and thereby frequently grinds any progress to a halt, via temporary aborting of planned work.

2. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Alllllrightythennno_O

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  3. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Hope your cousin is feeling a bit more comfortable today.

4. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Well I'm sure he appreciates it. Truth is hes in a great deal of pain but happy to be alive

5. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Well tonite we finally got put back on the grid! My wife is singing in the shower as I type this. She is so relieved. I had to fight her to keep her from turning every light in the house on! We were out 18.5 days. My neighbors and I cleared most of the lines ourselves to help em out yet it still took that long. We chewed the CEO's ass yesterday, I will give him credit for personally returning our call and gathering some info and calling again. Dark Cloud have your son call the number, hit #9 when it asks ya to type the name you want, type BRAD and it should come up with Bradley Cherry, he is the CEO of Grayson. Leave a msg and see what happens! He did call us and call us back with info. And we got on the day after so hopefully it will help your son & family. We had a Georgia crew, they were very good guys. I know it's not their fault but dang 18.5 days of gen gas was a ton of money. I'll be at the next meeting and looking at how we can attain reimbursement for some costs everyone was put out to get thru this. And I am very grateful for good neighbors who checked on us and helped us out too.

Munson, Southpaw, Nock and 11 others like this.
  6. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Glad you got thru it Drahts !!!

7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I'm glad sanity is finally restored, Drahts!

drakeshooter likes this.
  8. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Maybe. Looks like they are under flood warning now... rains began over on this end of the state off and on many hours ago.

https://forecast.weather.gov/showsi...oduct1=Hazardous+Weather+Outlook#.YDsawFNMFow

Thank you for the update, will keep him within my prayers.

9. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I know we got 3" of rain overnight. I'm not worried bout flooding but am worried bout how many more trees uproot from all that additional wet! Man it poured and doing so again now! But I can't complain cause in August I may be praying for rain!

Dark Cloud and Trapper Delk like this.
  10. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    Glad they got you back online, you ended up being off about double the time we were. I can imagine the frustration.

11. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Glad to here you got your electric back.

12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    It has rained buckets here all morning. My pool cover pump has been running non-stop, and the water just keeps rising.

13. Murray saw flooding on a level I’ve never seen.
    E8983EBC-6BB0-47CE-A3D1-4559A26FE326.jpeg
    5D8E61D9-D1D4-4107-A15F-7C47C5E092B7.jpeg

Nock, barney, HuntressOfLight and 3 others like this.
  14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I've seen water in places that I've never seen water. We've been hammered here. I bought 10 bags of sand and took to my wife's office. Water getting close to the front door. Hope it works.

15. Brown Dogs Matter

Brown Dogs Matter 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Heard that was over by the Keg. Running a hunt test this weekend and a boy from Murray was late cause of the water. His wife showed me the pic earlier today.

drakeshooter likes this.