Wayne County hunting Question

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Nozzleman, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Fawn

Jan 16, 2009
    athens, al.
    Looking at joining a club in Wayne County, have hunted LBL and in Hopkins County how does Wayne County compare thanks for the input

2. muzzy125acc

muzzy125acc 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2002
    PULASKI CO..
    Where is the club at??

3. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Fawn

Jan 16, 2009
    athens, al.
    Not for sure just wandering about deer population, agriculture, size in general, compared to the places I have been hunting. Terrain looks to be more big woods and mountains. Just wanting general opinion from someone that might be familiar with both areas. Thanks

4. beards-n-bone

beards-n-bone 10 pointer

Nov 12, 2008
    Pulaski Co.
    Depends on what you enjoy in a hunt. If you like to see alot of deer and are not that picky in what you kill, then Wayne Co is not for you. If you ARE picky and want to harvest a mature buck, then Wayne may be OK. EHD did hit some areas of Wayne County very hard last year so it could vary from area to area. Alot more rugged terrain than Hopkins Co or LBL. And nowhere near deer per square mile than Western KY.

5. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Fawn

Jan 16, 2009
    athens, al.
    Thanks for the input.

6. Jerod

Jerod 10 pointer

Oct 30, 2008
    KY
    Wayne in some rough country but well worth it if you stick with it. A lot of mature bucks being killed in wayne co. It rough hunting, with bear,rattlesnakes and pot growers but if you get a clean area,id do it in a second.;)

7. deercutter

deercutter Fawn

Jan 21, 2009
    i actually was in wayne county last weekend and leased 500 acres. i hope its good.The land is around Monticello anyone got any good or bad news about that area?

8. beards-n-bone

beards-n-bone 10 pointer

Nov 12, 2008
    Pulaski Co.
    I have considered leasing there as well. I assume off the same guy as you. What held me back was the report I got off a game warden from wayne county this summer. According to him wayne was really hit hard by EHD. As a matter of fact some areas were completly devoid of deer. The area you are talking about is below Monticello around Criswell, Mt Pisgah area. Some rough country almost like a plateau area with steep bluffs and wide bottoms. I hunt in tennessee in pickett state park right across the line, and can vouch for the turkey hunting. It is top notch. IMO

9. deercutter

deercutter Fawn

Jan 21, 2009
    the land is around Kidder seem to be alot of sign butnothing to get really excited about. Good to hear about the turkey hunting. hopefully the deer hunting will pan out. anyone hunting that part of the county?

thanks for the heads up

10. deercutter

deercutter Fawn

Jan 21, 2009
    Anyoune hear about any big deer killed around monticello?

11. KY HNTR

KY HNTR 6 pointer

Nov 6, 2005
    Wayne Co.

My advice would be to join a gym today and get your cardio/legs/back workout going, cause there's two directions in most of Wayne County- uphill and downhill.

Pot growers won't cause you any trouble. Meth and the associated evils are the scourge that will cause you issues in that part of the world.

#1. Pack a sidearm at all times regardless of season. Don't pull it unless you plan on shooting.

#2. Don't park in the same spots over and over.

#3. Don't get too angry face to face with trespassers/squatters. Play it cool cause it ain't worth not coming home over a deer/turkey from Wayne Co.

12. deercutter

deercutter Fawn

Jan 21, 2009
    sounds like i should have done some more homework.

thanks for the help

13. beards-n-bone

beards-n-bone 10 pointer

Nov 12, 2008
    Pulaski Co.
    Dont advertise your weapon. You might be better off begging the crack heads not to shoot ya, than let a conservation officer find you packing a handgun during ANY of our hunting seasons. It appears as though our Fish and Game Dept is more concerned with you taking a deer with a concealed weapon during bow season, than your safety and well being if confronted by meth heads that have been up for days:rolleyes: One of a few things you guys (and gals) need to consider is contacting the NRA and KDFWR and get this law done away with. It is STUPID and DANGEROUS to be in the woods in early bowseason without protection.

14. deercutter

deercutter Fawn

Jan 21, 2009
    Sounds like this is a serious problem. I take you have experienced this problem in the past?recently? i love to hunt but complications like that are not worth it to me. Is this primarily in the wayne county area? hopefully it is not like this across kentucky. i have no problem packing a side-arm, i have a problem having to use it!

thanks

15. lances

lances 10 pointer

Sep 12, 2004
    Lake Cumberland KY
    I read this and I am wondering which Wayne county you are talking about. I have turkey and deer hunted in the roughest parts of it for years. My wife was raised in the area and we have never had any troubles. Yes there is rough people around but no more there than anywhere else. I personally do not carry a pistol in bow season becasue it is illegal. My advice would be drive around the area and stop and talk to people. You will find that most are down to earth. Good luck.