Waterfowl 101

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by HuntressOfLight, Jan 16, 2020.

1. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Thank you, Sir. I am rather disappointed there has not been as much snow, compared to last year. I went completly retarded in it, being that it had most certainly been a while for me. I made snow angels, snowmen, sculpted one ice figure, but the best part was tearing up a vacant movie theater parking lot, switching off my traction control for donuts. I spent an entire 45 minutes doing that and was positive a nice police officer would drive by, but such never occured, thankfully. I did tell one nice officer about it, when he pulled me over a month later (he gave me a verbal warning for a bad headlamp, when I showed him the new replacement was boxed and sitting in an empty seat). He said, "I saw that", and I then asked, with yet another smile, "You saw me do those donuts?" With a return smile, he replied, "No, but I sure saw the remnants of all". I started laughing, elaborating what a blast I had, and we then continued talking about my car, simply because he was fond of it, lol. I want some more snow, a lot of it, before spring arrives!

Back on waterfowl, I just read the following article, and it helped me to understand why I had seen mega mallards, directly prior to opening day of season. It also helps in understanding why many on this website have not seen as many birds this season, thus far. I have met one of these men, but only for a moment.

https://www.ducks.org/hunting/water...waterfowlers-wait-for-the-next-weather-system

2. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    Oh goodness.

good thing it’s ending soon

3. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    I had been thinking I would have better opportunity photographing the waterfowl, themselves, after you and comrades finished with your pressure upon them. I still do not know. I guess some may possibly return this way, whenever they migrate back to their more northern home. I still do not know. I really need to be reading more basic material, at this point in time, and such is my intention.

4. Rob DeHaven

Rob DeHaven 10 pointer

Apr 19, 2006
    on the road
    Yea you should go north and sit outside and wait on them to migrate back.

5. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    This is north, for me.

6. Rob DeHaven

Rob DeHaven 10 pointer

Apr 19, 2006
    on the road
    Yea but you need to keep going. Now is the time. Dudster can show you a place up in IN where you will get all the pics you need. You all need to probably head out tomorrow and get there and stay out in the marsh for ever so you don’t miss a shot. You all can share all your stories and what you don’t know he will be able to tell you. He knows more than anyone.

Meatstick and Giveem3outdoors like this.
  7. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Someone must have forgotten to tell you, tis past your bedtime.

8. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Posted to YouTube one hour ago... pretty sure it's New York... couldn't pay me enough to go up there and freeze...

9. KYBluegill

KYBluegill 6 pointer

Jan 30, 2019
    Kentucky
  10. Rob DeHaven

Rob DeHaven 10 pointer

Apr 19, 2006
    on the road
    It is past my bedtime because I’m a Duckhunter and would thrive in conditions like that. Sounds like it’s past your time buttercup. Enjoy your sleep while we enjoy the outdoors. I’ll be back later I’ve got dogs to attend to. Oh yea. Have dudster tell you about his dog. He was the best ever and all dudster had to do was breath on him.

Giveem3outdoors likes this.
  11. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Ohhhh but trust me, I would go back to Florida tomorrow, if I could do so, but what kind of daughter would I be, if I failed to remain here and be on-hand for my father, when he occasionally requires my assistance, hmmm? That's right, a lousy one!

12. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Oh right, are you one of those dog trainers, buttercup?

13. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
  14. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    A good afternoon to you, as well, you little musical poker hand folding friend! :p

Tony and heated corn ponds, I do not believe that I have had the pleasure of an introduction, but I could be mistaken (embarrassingly, names fail to be a strong skill...); however, I do intend upon calling Sloughs WMA tomorrow, after having looked at the most recent counts this morning, learning that these pretty waterfowl were among the latest count.:cool: (some nice camera work)

I love swans, soothing creatures they can be! If ever stuck in downtown Orlando, all should consider visiting Lake Eola Park, also known as Swan Park. It has been there since the late 19th century, having developed from a sinkhole with a natural aquifer 200' below it, and was donated to the city by a cattle rancher, whose family named it after his girlfriend. An upscale farmer's market is also close, while the park itself offers many activities and hosts many events (outdoor amphitheater/free concerts, etc.), one of which I shot within the past decade. having awarded those world professional waterskiers $100k purse, but professional wakeboarders exhibited, as well, which I personally preferred, and there was also a muscle car show.

Lake Eola is approximately 30 acres and 25' deep, home to a wide diversity of swans (of course, the liberals are constantly crying about it...), other waterfowl and wildlife. It also has a large, beautiful fountain, with lights shows synced to music, which costs just over $2 million to refurbish, after a lightning strike had no mercy upon it (would have given almost anything for that shot). All is much better than the theme parks, thereby kindly recommended over such.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  15. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    0% chance HOL isn't Duster. No way 2 people in this world can act just alike and be equally annoying.