Waterfowl 101

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by HuntressOfLight, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    We see specks pretty well every year here. Wouldn't say they are common but not exactly rare.

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  2. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Every website fetched within my queries about Pilgrim Geese says they are rare, and I guess such is why they are listed on the American heritage breeds' conservation website, as such. This is from yet another website, though:

http://afs.okstate.edu/breeds/poultry/geese/pilgrim/index.html//#content

And the ones that I found were said to be exquisite (I thought so, as well).

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  3. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    News to me.

Geese:
    Not only has that, geese also had more webbings on the feet compared to ducks. Geese only have a 3 color wheel chart. Their feathers are gray, black, white, or spotted gray, black or white.

Ducks:
    One more quick fact about ducks is that only the female bunch makes the ‘quacking’ noise. The drakes do not.

4. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Huntress, i have to say i admire your interest in waterfowl, i duck and goose hunted over 40 years till my health took me out of the game, I guided for many years on the Mississippi flyway a lot of years, if there is any kind of duck or goose that flys the Mississippi that i havent killed or at least, shot at if it was Legal , I dont know know what it would be, i have called in Contests against some of the best callers in the country, have guided people in a lot of walks of life, But i will have to say i never met anyone that researched and had as much interest, or pulled up as many links in my life about as many species i just sit back and read and it is entertaining to say the least, if you really want to see what waterfowl hunting is about , you should spend everyday for a couple weeks in a blind or pit, you will learn more than you can ever read, if your where they are and with someone who knows what they are doing

5. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Thank you, Sir. I am attempting to prepare myself for such, so that I might have a better clue as to what is going on, when I get there. I do not like missing any photographs, and learning what I can beforehand should go a long way toward that goal; additionally, I like to know as much as possible about my subjects, for write-up purposes. I seriously doubt any who know what they are doing would want me in a blind firing-off nonstop, retarded questions, being that such would only serve to distract both that individual and myself. I am taking many little duckling steps, at this point, so as to attempt avoiding that big problem. It also gives me something constructive to do, while slowly recovering from this Kentucky funk, having knocked me down for so long. Lastly, it is possible all may help one or more brand new to waterfowl hunting, some day in the future.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Feedman likes this.
  6. Rob DeHaven

Rob DeHaven 10 pointer

Apr 19, 2006
    on the road
    If you don’t think people would like that behavior in the blind then why do you think they like it here. Still think you are a dude and you have surpassed being as annoying as dudster.

7. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Just apply for a bunch of pro and field staff positions. Companies are really looking for females right now. You don't have to hunt or know anything. You'll absorb all the knowledge once you fire that IG up.

8. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Drink.plenty if whiskey. That will get rid of the kentuck Funk. 4 to 5 days of hard drinking will either kill you or cure you

9. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    This man seems safe enough to venture into a blind with, but I wouldn't have any part of that kayak in the ice business.

10. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  11. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
  12. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
  13. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Edited, and thank you very much, Daffy. I always enjoy Mr. Lander's articles. He seems to be extremely knowledgeable and is good writer.

14. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    They croak like a hoss frog, fwiw

15. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019