Waterfowl 101

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by HuntressOfLight, Jan 16, 2020.

1. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    I think that I like the Ross's Goose best, out of the three white geese. What general area did you take that one, please? This seems helpful.

https://biology.eku.edu/kos/goose_id.htm

2. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    In the face, likely

3. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    So like through the eye and into the brain? Maybe some beak damage? A couple pellets?

4. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Oh hush, you two clowns! Captain Capttrae frequently travels. I am wondering if he happened to have been in Kentucky, when he "kilt" that one, as our Lord Bowfinger did.

5. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Lol naw I kilt that thar goose in Arky

Meatstick and HuntressOfLight like this.
  6. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    I mounted in in the fryin pan

Marsh CallUser likes this.
  7. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
  8. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Nope just heard of them

9. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    It's interesting, and I like blue birds. I saw one of my male bluebirds in the yard today, as well. The cold weather did not seem to bother him, either.

10. Rod S.

Rod S. 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2004
    Pewee Valley, Ky.
    Only thing I know about a Ross is smaller than a snow, older birds can grow barnacles on beak, easier to decoy than snows. I will put out a small spread of snows today for specks & just might pop a ross if we get any fog.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Capttrae and HuntressOfLight like this.
  11. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Did you intend to type "carnacles"? I briefly just read about them, because of your post; so, I thank you, as well. I am delaying learning what "specks" may refer to, regarding waterfowl, but I do intend to eventually do so. I feel it is best to soon learn the various terms utilized for descriptions of waterfowl bodily structures, because when mentioned in writings and videos, I am a bit lost for understanding, as if attempting to interpret an unknown language.

Being that the Ross's Goose has continued to hold my interest, I located this nice read, which provides much historical information in addition to nesting and migrational regions, and the nice map does indicate that they may clip Western Kentucky, at times. I do not know why the article failed to mention Mr. Ross, whom the bird was named in honor of some time ago and was also associated with the Hudson's Bay Company. He seems to have been an interesting man.

https://birdsna.org/Species-Account/bna/species/rosgoo/introduction

Mr. Ross:
    http://www.biographi.ca/en/bio/ross_bernard_rogan_10E.html

I also have yet to learn why they call the Blue Ross's Geese, blue, because they most certainly fail to look the color blue to me, albeit still interesting, simply because they happen to be extremely rare.

The white geese that I have seen here in Western Kentucky were large, but they must have been the Lesser Snow Geese. Two were residents of a refuge, affording me easy photographs, being that they weren't skittish, while many others were always very close to that particular WMA, off in a field quite some distance from the road. I think that if I ever attempt to cook either geese or ducks, I shall choose geese, simply because of the differences in their respective diets (just read about that, too), and that I would slow-roast them, as opposed to frying.

12. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    This article from Mr. Stevens, out of Tennessee, mentions quite a bit. He writes of "barnacle geese" and "speckled-belly geese" (perhaps such is what Rod S. was writing about?), and he calls others "greater white-fronted geese", which have a white band on their beaks. I do not know if that is the same as a greater snow goose, though. Everyone needs to start using one name. and one name ONLY! :rolleyes:

https://www.heraldcourier.com/lifes...cle_a2925240-0797-11e8-b9d2-ff1b2756d54b.html

13. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Greater White-fronted Goose:

it is pretty, somewhat reminds me of those rare Pilgrim Geese I once located, and according to the map, it is also known to clip Western Kentucky, to a lesser degree than the Ross's Goose. I wonder if anyone registered for this website has ever "kilt" one, while in Western Kentucky.

https://birdsna.org/Species-Account/bna/species/gwfgoo/introduction

14. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Pilgrim geese ain't rare. Like, at all. They're at every flea market, sale barn, and mini farm around.
    As to your article, we call those specklebellies, or specks. The vast majority of us have, indeed, kilt specks, in Western KY and otherwise. I've killed them east of Lexington, even.

15. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I have killed Specks Ross and Snows in Bagdad. None this year. YET but in the past years I have.

HuntressOfLight and Meatstick like this.