Waterfowl 101

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by HuntressOfLight, Jan 16, 2020.

1. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    There aren't too many things worse in Florida than being stuck in downtown Orlando, other than downtown Miami, but as mentioned, Lake Eola is a nice way of passing time, watching the waterfowl etc., while waiting for the afternoon rat race to end.

2. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
  3. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
  4. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  5. Big Snuff

Big Snuff 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2018
    North central ky
  6. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    If I happen to be feeling chatty about one; otherwise, no, and simply consider it much like a bookmark.

7. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    I can think of 1 thing- Polk County

8. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Good afternoon, Captain! That's not one of my venture zones, and so I shall defer to your knowledge base of the county. Meanwhile, what can you teach me about waterfowl today?

9. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    The place sucks. There’s a bunch of dogris down here right now

10. Big Snuff

Big Snuff 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2018
    North central ky
    The reason I asked, I dont have time right now to read the article due to my involvement in habitat improvement work. I was hoping you could give us a short overview. What has me curious is to see whether the biologist found anomalies in their mid winter survey considering many of the area they normally survey for the mid winter survey is in the south central and southern United states for the Mississippi flyway. My assumption would be that when they flew those grids they would have noted an absence of ducks due to the unseasonably warm winter. My question would then be did they alter the traditional flight sectors and move north into non traditional mid winter survey areas to truly get an overall look at the population of ducks assuming they wintered much farther north than normal.

You asked the Captain what could he teach you about waterfowl today. He didnt respond, so I figured I would fill in and throw you a bone for you to research.

I hope all is well and you are quenching your thirst for knowledge. Say hello to your father for me. I enjoy reading what you write about him. I have an image in my mind of what he would be like. Seems by your descriptions, a large burly, no B.S. type of fella with lots of cool stories. Certainly a fella I would welcome to spend a day in the blind with.

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  11. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    I figured you were probably talking about triple plus size fat girls, but I actually found that duck name on something called salty cajun, along with others:

http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-4948.html

Are you still in Louisianna with these dos gris, or over in Florida for some reason?

12. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    I shall have to get back with you regarding the article, because I am about to do some habitat improvement of my own, being that I decided to bury my dearly beloved little kitty whom died last Sunday, as opposed to having her cremated, and only because my father suggested it (kitty once belonged to his old fishing partner, so...decided to decorate his property with her). I have had her chilled since then.

You almost accurately pegged my father; military cut white hair, blue eyes, 6' tall (actually 5'11", now) broad shoulders, 175#, no nonsense, other than his bizarre sense of humor, which I am often accused of having inherited and full of cool stories, but he likes to change the topic quite frequently these days, and so I just go with the flow, learning about waterfowl from him when he is most interested in the conversation. He might be willing to join you in a blind one day, especially since he keeps mentioning his shotguns of late.

You should create a thread about your habitat improvement in that section; it sounds interesting.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    Big Snuff likes this.
  13. Big Snuff

Big Snuff 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2018
    North central ky
    Some aspects of habitat improvement are interesting, other parts, not so much. A few weeks ago was interesting because we were cleaning out wood duck boxes and preparing them for spring. Being eye ball to eye ball with a fox squirrel 14 feet off the ground when your opening the access door on a wood duck box makes for some exciting times. Couple that with 2 small owls flushing from other boxes and it makes for a panic stricken day.

This week we have been cleaning out ditches, draining shallow water ag fields and plugging and diverting waterways. It wont be long and we will be putting a crop in the ground. I truly enjoy days in the field preparing for the next season as much as I do the actual hunting days themselves. I find preparing a site and then seeing waterfowl use said site very satisfying. What I appreciate most about waterfowl is the fact they have wings and move around a lot. You can hunt for 2 or 3 days with minimal sightings and then on day 4 when you dont want to get out of bed because you think it's going to be another slow morning the skys will open up and you will have multiple opportunities. It's that anticipation of today being "the day" that keeps me getting out of bed every morning.

14. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Sounds like fun! Wish you had managed photos of those owls. I have had to rescue a few babies in the past. Better a squirrel than a snake shocking you, lol. Snakes find their ways into bluebird boxes, and so I imagine they do the same with wood duck boxes. A friend of my father's has some wood duck boxes and ducks on his pond, but I have yet to go mess with them. Please feel free to post any photos of all you are doing for the waterfowl in this thread, provided you keep all 101 level.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  15. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Guess I better quickly learn something about Early Teal and Wood Ducks, before you guys begin scaring all of them.