Watch those Ticks

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Duster, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Just got a call from oldest daughter, she had been feeling bad the last few days and went to doctor Monday. She has RMSF and already has the rash which means it has progressed to the danger zone they say. They have her on antibiotic drugs to help and that's all they can do.

2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Ugh. I’ve found a few this year. Hope she gets feeling better.

3. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Sorry to hear that, man. I'll say a prayer for her.

4. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    My new place here in Hart co is full of ticks.
    27 known tickborn diseases!

5. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Just found out this is the 3rd confirmed case in Muhlenberg county this year. Not good :(

6. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Hope she recovers fully. They’re bad for sure. Worked on my shooting house Sat and Sun. I pulled 5 off me. Kybh4life pulled 17 off of him.

7. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Got 2 off of me that were embedded during turkey season. One sent me to the dermatologist. This has been the worst year I can remember for ticks. Prayers for your daughter.

8. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Why dermatologist? I had one buried on my hip 3 weeks ago. I feel fine, but the sore/scab is still there.

9. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Serious question.....why do ticks like you people so much?

Nock likes this.
  10. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Knock on wood, from the advise of Luther’s Feist , so far ,no tics,I got some permithin 10 at tractor supply,mix some up in a gallon sprayer.Keep my dogs ,their houses,and around our house ,sprayed about once a month.I also spray my pants legs,when I weed eat or get out in the weeds,so far so good.

11. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I know it doesn't make a lot sense but I too agree that for whatever reason some people are more prone than others concerning ticks & mosquitoes.

My FIL would be a good example as when he was still able to turkey hunt we would hunt together on occasion. We would walk the same path, sit in the same general location of each other...basically I wasn't walking anywhere different than he was. We would get back to the cabin or truck and he would find tick after tick ....while I had none. As such..we would both spray down and usually with something that had permethrin like Permanone or Duranon.

I never could figure that one out and its not to say I never had a good dose of ticks myself on a few occasions.

Which my wife has to be a mosquito magnet.... we could be sitting side by side and she's a swatting mosquitoes and I've yet to have the first one buzz me.

12. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Skeets and ticks don't bother me too much. My wife tells me it's cause I am full of piss and vinegar. Lol

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    JR PORTER likes this.
  13. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I agree they like some people more than others. I’m in the others category.

14. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I think it’s similar to mosquitos, which are attracted to how much carbon dioxide a person exhales.

15. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

I don't think they care one way or the other it is all about opportunity. There they are sitting in the ground clutter, on a blade of grass, or a bush hitch hiking. They grab a hold of whatever brushes by except me. I treat my clothes, my gear, my truck seat and carpet with permethrin. Not going to allow a preventable disease like Lymes to disrupt my value of life, no sir.

bearleft and Dark Cloud like this.