Wasted deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by rcb216, Nov 29, 2020.

1. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Neighbor called me this morning, said he was riding his razr and there was a dead buck in his trail. Said he rode there at 5 last night and it wasn’t there then. So I said I’ll ride over and check it out. Looked ok laying there. Said after church I’ll come back with a buddy and get him. Maybe salvage backstraps. Called warden let him know what was going on. As always he was helpful. Looked as if it was shot in hams. Got it home and the back straps felt funny. Strung it up and found out someone had shot it from behind right up the backstraps. Ruined both hams and all the backstraps. Such a waste. I did show my son and one of his buddy’s why you don’t take shots like that. They looked it over and seen what it does. What’s amazing to me is how far it ran before it died. Like 400-500 yards and couple of hills to get where it was. No one was hunting farm it was found on. Owner said he heard a few rapid shots about dark last night on neighboring farm. I don’t know who hunts there. If I saw them I was gonna let them know I got their buck but there is no house on property and no one at the trucks. So I just cut off the antlers like the warden wanted and tossed it for coyote bait. Just bothered me at how much I could’ve done with that much meat.

2. Ezelkyhunter

Ezelkyhunter 8 pointer

Nov 28, 2013
    That is such a waste. At least you made the best of a bad situation.

3. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
  4. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    He was an 2.5 year old 8 good mass real solid. Would’ve been a dandy couple more years.

5. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Yeah, what a waste. Good on you for trying to do the right thing. I hate slob “hunters.”

davers and riverboss like this.
  6. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    At least you tried to salvage the meat .
    I never waste anything even when I eat . What I put on my plate I eat it all and nothing is wasted.

redjackson likes this.
  7. captfire

captfire 6 pointer

Oct 13, 2015
    I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN I FOUND ONE ON THE SIDE OF A COUNTY ROAD THE ONLY THING THEY TOOK WAS THE ANTLERS . I WAS RASIED IF YOUR NOT GOING TO EAT IT DON'T KILL IT...

cedar ridge and Trapper Delk like this.
  8. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 10 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Me too if you shot it when I was kid granny cooked it

9. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Eat every deer, turkey, squirrel, rabbit, pigeon that me or my boy shoots. We shoot coyotes, possums, coons, groundhogs, andskunks also..but i be damned if we eat em. Times aint that bad yet. Groundhogs arent horrible..just aint our thing.

barney and Trapper Delk like this.
  10. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 10 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Pigeon are good we use to catch them up outta barns, never had a farmer say no to that. Lol just like a jumbo dove

11. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    I tell ya..if more people tried em..the pigeon population would start declining. I like to pluck em..wrap em in some bacon and roast em over a fire.

Trapper Delk likes this.
  12. captfire

captfire 6 pointer

Oct 13, 2015
    ive never tried pigeon but I think they would be like eating a dove ..

Trapper Delk likes this.
  13. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    About all birds breast taste similar. I have had crow and I’ll bet if anyone ate it and was told it was a large dove they wouldn’t know the diff