warmest hunting gear

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyoutdoorsman, Nov 19, 2017.

1. WILD

WILD 12 pointer

Sep 7, 2009
    hick town,ky
    What he said....

2. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    First Lite’s pre-Black Friday sale starts today. You might be able to pick up some merino base layers on sale. The merino neck gaitors are really warm, too.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  3. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

You know this is easier said than done especially when you carry more $h1t than you need in the first place but it's very good advice. I always at least leave off my gloves or face mask or take my coat off and lay across a limb for the first hour or so. I don't care if it's -12 when I have all those layers on and I walk 100yds or further I sweat like crazy then after setting for an hour I freeze. Start with less, add more.

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  4. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I’m the same way. It doesn’t take much for me to sweat. Once I figured how to layer my clothes in an effective way that worked for me and started wearing a vest I realized I could walk in and stay on stand for a couple of hours without throwing on the heavy outer layers. Being able to vent my thermal shirts and unzip my outer fleece and vest help me out a bunch. Walking in a little cold is key. And to be honest I feel like being a bit uncomfortable helps me to stay on stand all day. If you can’t handle being a bit uncomfortable you’re screwed. There’s always something that’s not exactly like you would like it - at least in my world:)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    BNewNKY46 likes this.
  5. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    I never have any trouble just dressing in layers. My problem has always been my feet and hands while sitting still. A few years ago I started using the chemical warmers in my boots and gloves. This helps a bunch but, then I have the problem of having to move them around because an area has gotten too warm. Then the fact that even the 8 hour ones only last about 5 hours. I'd love to find some boots and gloves that keep my hands and feet warm.

6. RackedUP

RackedUP 8 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    I use the thermacell heated insoles. I leave them off until my feet are cold then turn them on just enough to get back confortable then shut them back off. I use them intermittently like this all day with out a problem.

baknblack likes this.
  7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    My have to buy me some of these. Never happened until the last few years (age I'm sure) but I have a hard time keeping my feet warm anymore.

8. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    He gives some good advice on keeping feet warm. When I have time I use his method and my feet stay warmer.

9. revwilder

revwilder Spike

Aug 6, 2011
    Mt Vernon
    What he said ^

10. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    I do the very same thing plus I never wear a hat of any kind going to the stand. Also I’ve found that kidney belts that hold hand warmers will keep you warm, especially on windy days.