warmest hunting gear

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyoutdoorsman, Nov 19, 2017.

1. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    is there such thing as inexspensive thermals without going and giving 200 for merino wool, whats your favorite warmest hunting gear

2. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    Army surplus ECWS ,look on ebay.I had the parka and liner,sat high up on a ridge in Owen County 11 degrees all day deer hunting.
    Heavy ,but it works good

3. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I’ve got a pair of old Remington fleece thermals that are warm. It has to be really cold for them.

A big thing that helps me stay warm is a vest. If you can keep your core warm then you’ll stay comfortable. I got a used Carhartt vest on eBay for $25 about 5 years ago and it’s still going strong. A little faded but the deer never notice.

I also never go to the woods without a neck gaitor of some sort. It helps me stay confortable and I use it as a face mask.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  4. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

Cabelas Wooltimate and Arctic Shield are the best I've used as far as outer garments go.

5. RKF11

RKF11 8 pointer

Apr 9, 2010
    Southeastern KY
    Cabelas MT050. Warmest I’ve rver found and goretex so it’s 100% windproof and waterproof. It’s high but they have it on bargain cave after 1st of year. I got a $700 parka and bibs for $350. If had it 16 yrs and like it’s brand new. Extremely comfortable but it’s not for walking in. I pack it on my backpack

hotdog likes this.
  6. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Try Sitka in the Fanatic series or the incenerator series.

7. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    It took me a few years to figure it out, but the key to staying warm on stand is to pack in your outer layers. Leave from the truck without them on and walk in cold.

I like a quarter zip thermal, so I can unzip it to vent when I get to my stand. Then I put on my outer layer - usually heavy bibs.

And a beanie and neck gaitor round out the whole deal. I can sit all day with that set up.

8. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    First, don't wear any cotton. Fleece long johns, insulated bibs and jacket. Fleece neck gaiter, wool hat. Wool or fleece socks. If your boots are tight with two pair of socks, they're too small and wiil constrict blood circulation. Loosen boot laces when u get to stand. Boot blankets with chemical heat packs work well. It may you some up front but as long as you don't out grow the clothes, should last several years.

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  9. hotdog

hotdog 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    Pike Co.,Ky
    I have the MT50 bibs, parka and a pair of coveralls. The zipper messed up on the coveralls and Cabela’s gave me a new pair and they was 6 years old. I know they’re a little pricey, but all of Cabela’s brand clothing and boots have a lifetime warranty.

10. elmucho277

elmucho277 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2009
    northern ky
    I'll second the Arctic Shield, I purchased the jacket and bibs when they first came out years ago and they still work great. Like others have said, don't walk to much wearing them or you will sweat your ass off. The set I have are a little bulky, but I still bow hunt wearing them no problem.

Ginsenghunter likes this.
  11. Mob169"

Mob169" 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2010
    merion wool base layers from sierra trading post.

12. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    I am a fan of military surplus cold weather gear

13. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I wear sweat pants in layers under my outer wear and always 2 pair of thick socks. A hooded jacket or hooded sweatshirt under my coat also.

14. littletom

littletom 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    Knob Lick, Ky
    Columbia is the warmest and best imho and has life time warrantey. What I wear duck hunting but to loud to deer hunt. I wear several layers ua then a wool shirt and wool vest then a outer layer. This year it has been a under armor scent jacket and pants I got 70% off when gander went out. Use to be nat gear heavy fleece. And when real cold I pac in bibs and parka.

15. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Do a search on the net for polypropylene long underwear. You will see a lot of it listed as ECWS and sometimes listed as fleece.

You can get tops and bottoms for less than $40 ... and possibly some listed as military surplus for even much less.

The first pair I ever owned came from Cabelas and later on bought a couple more pair at Walmart made by Rocky. All I’ve ever owned were brown in color but I’ve seen them in black and a few other colors. Also say the tops had a turtle neck style and highly recommend for warmth.

Their so far ahead of cotton long johns it’s not even funny. Which I’ve used them for years and for our cold weather we have in Ky they will work fine as a base layer. Which I’ll put it this way.. you won’t have them on long indoors.

Which merino wool long johns are the Cadillac. I may breakdown and buy a set in the future. But the polypropylene/ ECWS are a cheap alternative.

Which I learned a long time ago good clothing & footwear is an investment. Spend a little more and you will stay comfortable which equates to hunting more often and staying in the stand longer. A good base layer is critical from this standpoint.