Warm weather

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by 30-30, Jan 29, 2013.

1. 30-30

30-30 8 pointer

Aug 26, 2011
    Does this warm weather keep em nocturnal? we ve had a few cool spells but for the most part its been mild, I am just wondering what effect it has on movement

2. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    My take is that when the coyotes have got it easy they are harder to call. This is based on them responding much better when it has been cold and frozen up for a week or more, making it harder for them to scratch out a mouse, a vole, etc.. I don't think it will make them more nocturnal for it to turn warm. They are going to hunt enough to fill their needs, and then its off to bed. During the mating season, you can forget all that. Old Wiley might show up anywhere looking for love in all the wrong places.

3. 30-30

30-30 8 pointer

Aug 26, 2011
    Thanks Al, I was wondering if there movement is kinda like deer movement, Ive also always heard a yote hates to be wet,

4. Glendale John

Glendale John 6 pointer

The cold and ice made them hungry, mating season makes them like I was around 19-years-of-age. I've been driving a remote farm lane on the way to work looking for yotes for the last three days. Today about 7:25 I see a big black looking yote using a grassy field gully to travel across a corn field with two more ahead.So they are out and about in daylight.

5. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Prey species numbers are at their lowest this time of year. You see them moving about later more often now since they have to work a bit more for food.

Mating season peaks around february 15. You can see them any time of day then. Jimmie