Wanting to replicate the Lexington 4 board fence

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by EdLongshanks, Mar 30, 2016.

1. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I'm a general contractor and carpenter by trade. I'm looking to install about 410 linear feet of 4 board fence to look like the gorgeous horse farms in the central portion of our state. The fence will not be used to hold livestock. I have (what I feel) is a pretty good game plan as to how to accomplish this...but I'm looking for some experienced advise. Do's and don't's. Thanks in advance.

2. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County
    When you don't have to hold livestock, you can pretty much do whatever you want. My fencing experiences are mostly here on the farm, and the fences I build are designed to keep horses and cows from getting out and going where they aren't wanted. I've helped build a few board fences that were just for looks, and I always ended up thinking I could have improved upon them. Anyway, good luck, just go with your feelings as to what's best for you.

3. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Take a stick an stop by one of the fences on a horse farm. Mark the top of each board on the stick. This will give you the correct spacing. Post are usually 8 feet apart

4. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    The spaces are the width of the board. The posts are on 7'6" centers as you have to allow for slop in 16 ft fence boards. Make sure and properly stagger the boards and them up off the ground for mowing trimming.

5. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    What I cant tell you is how the pros get it to roll exactly right without following the contour so closely that it moves too much. I know they use a string, but they end up with an almost magical roll when done right. If it's too straight vertically it looks dumb. Shuck built most of mine and while not cheap, it is one hell of a fence.

6. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    Do's- Use treated poplar if you only want looks. Use a faceboard that extends below bottom rail. Use the spiral nails.
    Don't- Use oak unless you need super strong, it twists. Don't use 4x4, use faced posts. don't forget to cut the top at an angle to get water off post.

7. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I ordered the material yesterday from a local company and I need to verify the specie of wood. I am using the 6" faced posts. I plan on screwing the fence together with those torque head decking screws. I ordered extra rails to face the posts. I'm planning on using 40 lbs of sac Crete on each post. Good or bad idea? Should I use the entire 80 lbs bag? I believe the auger we are going to use is 8" diameter. My biggest concern is height. Not sure when to dip the post down or keep is level. The ground is fairly flat where the fence will be installed.

8. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    ^^^thats my biggest concern I think.

9. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Also, since the fence is only to deter people from pulling a vehicle onto the property (and it will hopefully look pretty sweet) should I place the rails on the outside towards the road? I know that's not the way you would do it to hold horses...but it would probably look better from the road with the rails and post covers facing the road direction.

10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    pics of my fence (neighborhood was a horse farm). stain, not paint.

fence1.jpg
    fence2.jpg
    fence3.jpg

11. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    We maintained a big real board fence on my place as a kid. Posts were all natural cedar and locust (cured) and we never used any concrete in setting them. 8 foot posts, sunk about 2.5 feet deep. Bought all our lumber rough cut from the amish. It'll hold paint a lot longer. Absolutely make sure you stagger your boards because people will climb the fence. We always just used nails, but screws will work too.

12. ukyager

ukyager 10 pointer

Jan 21, 2005
    KENTUCKY
    Post will rot twice as fast if you use concrete.

13. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    That is a concern and I originally planned to choke them in with gravel. A reputable fencing company up this way (same place I'm buying the material) said they set every one of their posts in concrete. I might put a bed of gravel at the bottom of each hole to provide some drainage.

14. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
  15. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    It looks like in one of those pics, its for sale. Just buy the house with the fence already there and save yourself some time. :highly_amused: