Want to harvest ducks and geese

Giveem3outdoors

12 pointer
Jan 18, 2009
ohio county ky
I just heard my first Common Merganser call, four different recordings from various areas. I do not know if that is the same duck in discussion, but it was interesting. Is there a difference in a Common Merganser and a Hooded Merganser, please? I noticed a photograph of one or the other, and it had a black head and white stripe; I think it was male. Whichever one that I read about, it said that it is a secretive duck, which is of further interest. Why is it secretive?

I realize that I am being lazy, by not going back to look more. You guys should really post photographs of these various birds, whenever you mention them; alive, because it is difficult to tell much about them, when they are laying flat or hanging, after they have been shot.
With all due respect ma'am most of us on this forum are out to kill fowl. So most of the pictures you find here are gonna be dead birds. Ducks.org has a identification chart with what you are looking for.

Last edited:

DH13

12 pointer
Jan 13, 2012
Shelby county
Hooded Merganser
hooded20merganser20photo20by20tim20daniel.jpg

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
With all due respect ma'am most of us on this forum are out to kill fowl. So most of the pictures you find here are gonna be dead birds. Ducks.org has a identification chart with what you are looking for.

No offense taken, Giveem3outdoors, and thank you very much. I actually searched that website, prior to my post, but something (what, I no longer recall) about it failed to suit me. After a few more queries, I visited other websites, and the most useful was some ornithology website, which was well organized with the the previously referenced calls and more. Such was an unnecessary amount of work, causing me to somewhat lose interest.

I could eventually create a new hunting website for youth, complete with photographs of both scouted ducks/geese, and successfully hunted ducks/geese, side by side, in order to draw more into the sport, because I am currently under the impression that an increase in their participation, as well as that of others, is extremely necessary. The problem in which I foresee with the creation of said website, is that it would simply serve to create yet another divide, when what appears to be necessary is unity. It would be much better, in my opinion, if you guys took the extra time to make it much easier for them, because youths' attention span can be rather short, and many of them may not go to the trouble that I did, with my previously referenced queries. If you fail to take the time, you may very well be shooting all hunters in the foot, in the long run.

Any time that a specific bird is mentioned, a hyperlink could be automatically generated, taking anyone, if he/she chose to access it, to a separate thread upon this very website, with details to include photographs of said bird. That would require some work, but the advantages would be immense. The Admin would have to set that up, but many could participation in the details/photographs section. It all boils down to whether you desire for more participation, as many claim.

Last edited:

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
No offense taken, Giveem3outdoors, and thank you very much. I actually searched that website, prior to my post, but something (what, I no longer recall) about it failed to suit me. After a few more queries, I visited other websites, and the most useful was some ornithology website, which was well organized with the the previously referenced calls and more. Such was an unnecessary amount of work, causing me to somewhat lose interest.

I could eventually create a new hunting website for youth, complete with photographs of both scouted ducks/geese, and successfully hunted ducks/geese, side by side, in order to draw more into the sport, because I am currently under the impression that an increase in their participation, as well as that of others, is extremely necessary. The problem in which I foresee with the creation of said website, is that it would simply serve to create yet another divide, when what appears to be necessary is unity. It would be much better, in my opinion, if you guys took the extra time to make it much easier for them, because youths' attention span can be rather short, and many of them may not go to the trouble that I did, with my previously referenced queries. If you fail to take the time, you may very well be shooting all hunters in the foot, in the long run.

Any time that a specific bird is mentioned, a hyperlink could be automatically generated, taking anyone, if he/she chose to access it, to a separate thread upon this very website, with details to include photographs of said bird. That would require some work, but the advantages would be immense. The Admin would have to set that up, but many could participation in the details/photographs section. It all boils down to whether you desire for more participation, as many claim.
Rather than create kids a website, most of us just take them hunting...
Seems to work, in my experience.

Latest posts