Walmart to stop selling pistol ammo and open carry in store

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by KYBOY, Sep 3, 2019.

1. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    That is going to be a bit hard, Duster. Some small Kentucky towns, like mine, don't have any sporting goods stores. Walmart is the only game in town when it come to purchasing ammunition, or anything related.

2. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I believe He was being sarcastic .

Kroger joins the party.

IMG953061.jpg

3. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Answer me this...Why would someone want to open carry inside a store such as Wal-Mart or Kroger. Don't try and lay the line of it's within my rights. All you would be doing is to show a bad guy who to go for first. Way to many want to open carry for some reason, does it make them feel larger than life and a badass. Think it's cool to scare little old lady's on electric shopping buggy's. One of them may whip out a CC handgun from their purse and poke holes in you if scared enough.

Lady Hunter likes this.
  4. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

There is always mail order, just plan ahead.

davers likes this.
  5. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I don't think it's the " I'm a badass" factor as much as they feel they have protection in case of a problem, Although there is some of that for some. The problem I have is most are not really prepared if it goes sideways in a hurry, they just buy a pistol and start carrying, many seldom train or even shoot their carry pistols. And many also carry like it's an accessory. If you are going to open carry you should have a LEO style holster where the weapon is secure and someone can't just snatch it out of your holster in a second the weapon needs to be properly retained..
    You also need situational awareness and always know what is going on around you (you should have that anyway)

I choose to conceal and always have a weapon on me.

First people I notice in public is the open carry guys.

6. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    I've ordered online from Natchez before, and there's reloading your own!

davers and Dark Cloud like this.
  7. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    So do I, and also order from Midway & Midsouth Shooters. It's bad when you have to pay Haz-Mat on powder & primers, but there is no Haz-Mat on loaded ammunition.

JR PORTER likes this.
  8. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    That is what I HAVE to do on some shooting & reloading equipment. Trouble is they are sometimes sold out.

9. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    If it is chambered in a handgun or "short" rifle, then yes they will not have for sell in their stores. There is a great deal of .22 LR pistols & rifles the last time I checked.

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  10. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    By announcing they are now effectively a gun free zone are they not opening themselves up for lawsuits?

In a word yes and no..

You can still conceal carry which is what you should do anyway..

davers likes this.
  11. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I carry concealed. Never understood why you would carry open. But whatever floats ya boat.

12. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman 6 pointer

Dec 20, 2003
    Caneyville, Ky, USA.
    Hi, I was reading your post and you got me to wondering. Can you answer me this? Why shouldn't the fact that it's within someones rights to open carry have something to do with it? I've been carrying concealed for quite sometime and I've open carried an equal amount. It doesn't make me feel like a badass. I've never had anyone scared of me because I had a firearm on my side and have actually been thanked by several complete strangers for practicing my right to open carry and every time it was in a Walmart. As for the open carry guy being the first target, I highly doubt that. i feel it's a very strong deterrent to someone with ill intentions. If you are going to start a conflict with someone and you have a choice between two subjects, one is carrying a sidearm in plain view and the other has no weapon visible, which will you pick? Also, why is it ok to carry concealed in Walmart but not open? I think the only ones scared by open carry are the liberal people who are scared because someone dares to think differently than them. I'd be more afraid of the people with the crazy hair colors and so many face piercings it looks like they fell into a tackle box face first.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    308, aceoky and hunt like this.
  13. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Welp, I haven’t set foot in that depressing
    I have seen countless people open carry and I’ve literally never given it a second thought. None. Plain and visible on their hip is as nonchalant as can be. I think the rub might be when people open carry “long guns” or “carbines”.....because people are stupid. Nothing more. Know who you are responding to.

14. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman 6 pointer

Dec 20, 2003
    Caneyville, Ky, USA.
    I can see where someone carrying a rifle or shotgun through Walmart might raise an eyebrow or two and although I've never seen it myself I'm sure it does happen. Seems like if long guns are the issue then why not just ask people not to open carry long guns? Makes a lot more sense to me.

Jack Ryan likes this.
  15. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I have never seen someone open carry a long gun so I guess I don’t know what to say....other than if more people open carried long guns, I’m guessing I would feel the same as someone carrying a .40 on their hip. Just because it’s not as common doesn’t mean it’s any less constitutional