Walmart to stop selling pistol ammo and open carry in store

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by KYBOY, Sep 3, 2019.

1. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Just saw that Walmart will stop selling pistol ammo and ask people to not open carry where it’s legal

2. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I can't wait till those liberal bastards close up.

3. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Don't shop there that will show them....Problem solved...:rolleyes:

DH13 and ojibwa62 like this.
  4. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Problem is in many rural areas they are the only show in town..

5. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    What's "Walmart?" :rolleyes:

barney and mac0492 like this.
  6. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I bet im not in Walmart 2 times a year. When I do go it isn't for ammo.

mac0492 and Iceman35 like this.
  7. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Saw that too, how ridiculous. Have you ever tried to buy ammo at Walmart?? The ones I go to you better have about a half hour to wait on (or find) someone. Took me 2 DAYS to buy a shotgun there one time. Had me leave and come back the next day. After that shit show I said never again.

8. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    If the little short lady is there (Richmond store) , you can get in and out pretty quick, anyone else not so much. Now that is ammo or a license, have never bought a gun at Walmart..
    Last two I bought a Dunhams.

9. Genesis 27:3

Genesis 27:3 10 pointer

Oct 13, 2018
    Christain county
    I do wish Wal-Mart was exstinct.but I don't think it will happen.

mallardkiller and mac0492 like this.
  10. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Kroger did the same today as well.

Keep in mind, in Kentucky, they can ask all they want, but legally they can’t do anything other than ask you to leave, which they can do for any reason. The sign on the door doesn’t mean a thing. I pack in Kroger 3 times a week, concealed, and that won’t change.

I also wonder where the outrage was when Walmart stopped selling handguns 26 years ago.

aceoky likes this.
  11. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    This is true. I hate the place..but they have a dang monopoly on alot of items in small, rural areas.

12. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    The older guy there is useless and amazingly the guy with pink hair is even less help. But at least they keep someone in the area. Winchester I have to find somebody usually halfway across the store to page someone over the intercom at least 2-3 times. They've been passive aggressively screwing hunters/shooters for years. At least now they're owning it.

aceoky and kyoutdoorsman like this.
  13. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I ain't buying A Firearm from someone with PINK HAIR.
    Jest sayin...

14. timer

timer 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    I'm wondering if they will stop selling .22s....

15. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman 6 pointer

Dec 20, 2003
    Caneyville, Ky, USA.
    Firearms and Ammunition Guidelines

Walmart has a long heritage as a company of serving hunters and sportsmen and women. Our focus has always been to do so responsibly, including taking many measures that go beyond what’s required by law.

Where We Sell Firearms and Ammunition
    Walmart sells firearms in approximately half of our U.S. supercenter stores. While we are not the largest volume firearms seller in the United States, we do serve many areas of the country where there is a concentration of hunters and sportsmen/women.

Items We Sell
    Walmart sells long guns for hunting and sport shooting, including shotguns, single-shot hunting rifles and light sporting rifles, as well as BB and pellet guns.

Items We Don’t Sell
    Walmart does not sell military-style rifles, such as the AR-15, or any type of AR-15 accessory, including bump stocks and high-capacity magazines. These items are also listed on our prohibited items list for online marketplace sellers. We have a process to monitor our eCommerce marketplace and help ensure our policies are applied.

As of September 2019, we have discontinued the sale of:

• handguns, which were previously sold only in our Alaska stores
    • ammunition for handguns
    • ammunition for short-barrel rifles such as the .223 caliber and 5.56 caliber that, while commonly used in some hunting rifles, can also be used in large-capacity clips on military-style weapons
    • ammunition like the .300 Blackout, 7.62x.39 and .224 Valkyrie
    Who Can Buy Firearms and Ammunition at Walmart
    In February 2018, we announced our decision to sell firearms and ammunition only to individuals who are 21 and older.

Walmart only sells a firearm after receiving a “green light” on a background check. This goes beyond federal law, which only requires the absence of a “red light” after a three-business day waiting period. We require a “green light,” regardless of the time period.

Selling Firearms Responsibly
    Walmart takes steps above and beyond what is required by law to sell firearms in a responsible way, including:

• videotaping the point of sale for firearms;
    • allowing only select associates who have passed a criminal background check to sell firearms;
    • conducting regular associate training;
    • performing inventory audits; and
    • securing firearms in a locking case, among other important measures.
    Walmart associates who are authorized to sell firearms are specifically trained on all firearm policies and procedures. Associates who fail to follow the policies and procedures are subject to discipline, up to and including termination.

Walmart is a charter member of the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership, organized by Walmart and Everytown for Gun Safety.

We have committed to work alongside other retailers to make the overall industry safer, including sharing our own best practices. This system navigates tens of millions of possible combinations of federal, state and local laws, regulations and licensing requirements that come into effect based on where a firearm is sold and who is purchasing. We hope that freely sharing this information will help more retailers sell firearms in a responsible, compliant manner.

Open Carry of Firearms
    Motivated by our desire to create a safe environment in our stores and clubs, we request that customers no longer openly carry firearms into Walmart or Sam’s Club locations in states where open carry is permitted – unless they are authorized law enforcement. As of September 2019, we are working to create and display new signage to help communicate this policy.

We will continue to follow state and local laws regarding concealed carry permit holders.

Last updated: September 3, 2019