Walleye help!!

StaleyEMT

8 pointer
Jul 14, 2007
Laurel Co.
We went to Laurel last night and waited on the eyes to come up. When they finally came up we were in the right spot, or I thought we were. They were popping all around us. The boat didnt seem to bother them as they were sucking down shad within 3 feet of the boat. it would almost scare you sometimes they would be so close and loud,,,,, but they would not hit anything we threw! We tried red fins, swimbaits, slivers, thundersticks,shadraps and topwater excalibers and got nothing! My buddy has caught several fish and been fishing for years and said he didnt know what else to do. Does anyone have any suggestions?

GutPile

6 pointer
Feb 15, 2010
Corbin KY
You could maybe try a rattletrap type bait, and burn it just under the surface. I know the stripes will hit them when their popping shad, so maybe the walleye will too.

aceoky

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2003
W KY
Not really enough info here to answer with certainty, but often at night for walleye you have to reel VERY slowly to get them to hit (so much food available I think is the reason- bait needs to stand out from the crowd- appear injured?)

crappieking

Spike
Feb 27, 2010
Leitchfield, Ky
Try just a nightcrawler on just a hook. But leave half the crawler hanging off the hook so it don't look like a big blob floating around. If they are hitting the top like that, they should eat the crawler up. Or leaches, they work also.

TripleGee

12 pointer
Sep 13, 2003
Somerset
What about one of those surface- 1 foot lures that looks like a shad rap?? I thought of that instantly when he mentioned the problem. Or a floating rapala minnow, twitching it now and again. Or a 1/4 stick of dynamite! Works for Crocodile Dundee.

Latest posts