Walking vs sitting

Kyhunter96

Fawn
Oct 6, 2014
how many of you all like to sit or be in a tree stand/blind during Rifle season? And how many of you like to walk around? Reason why I ask this is because I have family that comes down from Ohio during rifle season and they Usually all tag out from basically walking ridge to ridge and looking down in the hollers for deer, and there's plenty of those since this is in eastern Kentucky. They even have a name for each holler and use Walkie-talkies for communication, just thought it was interesting on how well they do. Personally I'd much rather be in a tree stand

bowmaddnes

8 pointer
Sep 15, 2011
Western Ky
I'll stick to being 20ft up! Especially during gun season. Way to many idiots with high powered rifles ready to shoot something out there during that time.

EarlyBird1

8 pointer
Aug 4, 2014
SouthCentral KY
how many of you all like to sit or be in a tree stand/blind during Rifle season? And how many of you like to walk around? Reason why I ask this is because I have family that comes down from Ohio during rifle season and they Usually all tag out from basically walking ridge to ridge and looking down in the hollers for deer, and there's plenty of those since this is in eastern Kentucky. They even have a name for each holler and use Walkie-talkies for communication, just thought it was interesting on how well they do. Personally I'd much rather be in a tree stand
When you say they "all tag out" what does that mean? Are they shooting small bucks and does or what? A lot of people in a lot of places can walk around and tag out.

Muzzy Moment

8 pointer
Sep 8, 2011
Eastern KY
I prefer to walk when I hunt but there is a lot more to it than just walking around. We call it still hunting. Move slowly from one place to another sometime I sat for hours just depends on wind and where I am. In Ohio I hunt slot of strip mine land and sitting in a tree with a bow on public land is a shot in the dark. Even throw some spot and stalk in some as well.

120+

12 pointer
Aug 22, 2006
You can't get there from here.
I'll be moving Saturday if it's raining or just rained where I can move without sounding like I'm on potato chips. It's buck only in zone 4 so my normal doe stands don't seem appealing to me at the moment. I'll go check out new spots and look for rubs, scrapes and just check out the areas where I haven't been yet. Come last week of October through the rut I'll be in a stand. I feel pretty good about stalking with a gun but not with a bow.

bullet225ho

6 pointer
Oct 25, 2004
Crooked Creek
If it's raining or drizzeling I walk (still hunt) to my stand.

and if it's going to be raining or drizzeling for a long period of time I'll still hunt the "long" way to my stand. That could be all day if it's still raining. I might still hunt past my stand if it's steady raining.

As soon as it stops or appears to be stopping raining/drizzeling....my wet but is in the stand

Lot's of things moving after a weather event.

If it's dry or no rain.....My walking is to and from my stand as quietly and quickly as I can.

Latest posts