Virginia Hunters

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by jrfrmn, Oct 14, 2009.

1. jrfrmn

jrfrmn Fawn

Dec 23, 2005
    How many elk hunters from Virginia draw tags?

2. Straight Creek

Straight Creek 6 pointer

Oct 6, 2009
    Backwoods
    Not many VA people of this website, I live close to VA and I've not heard of anyone.

3. jrfrmn

jrfrmn Fawn

Dec 23, 2005
    Is there a particular reason for that? Does Ky not want Va hunters because Va don't want Ky's elk?

4. itallushrt

itallushrt Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    Getting a blumpkin

Yep! From what I understand any 10$ lottery chance that was from someone with a VA address was immediately disqualified, but the KDFWR did keep the money. I don't blame them ... on either account.

5. jrfrmn

jrfrmn Fawn

Dec 23, 2005
    Va hunters

Are you serious? Why?

6. vabirddog

vabirddog 6 pointer

Mar 24, 2007
    We have an elk hunt. It's called deer season.

7. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Might not get to next year. From what I understand VDGIF is going to try to establish an elk population in the counties bordering Ky which means no more killing elk during deer season, at least that's what the mountaineer was reporting a few month ago. I don't think any thing has been finalized yet, but I have heard some folks around town talking about it...

8. doccbst

doccbst Fawn

Sep 24, 2009
    Lebanon (Russell Co ) Va
    Va hunter seeking Elk

Yes, I am a Virginia hunter actively hunting Elk or Elk info.
    I have posted but only had one response.
    Va hunters will loose this privilege as early as Oct 23rd or at best end of 2009 season.
    This will be determined at a meeting Oct 22nd.
    http://www.roanoke.com/outdoors/billcochran/wb/222477
    Va has determined that restoring our native Elk population is perhaps a good idea after seeing the success of Ky, Tn, NC, PA, and other eastern restoration projects.
    Anyone willing to assist me in locating, harvesting, and recovery would be greatly appreciated and rewarded.There is a lot of good eating from an Elk.
    My last Va Elk hunt for awhile may be Oct 22nd, the day of the meeting.
    I will be in the woods with my Bow, knife and game bags.
    I do have info about bear and whitetail hunting in these border counties.
    Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.
    doccbst

9. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    glad to see Virginia finally coming around. didn't understand their reasoning. tough to see Kentucky and the RMEF doing so much work on their side of the border only to have Va. declare them "unwanted, undesirable". do you guys have a bag limit on elk or can you shoot as many "of these unwanted animals" as you want as long as you have a deer tag?????????

10. doccbst

doccbst Fawn

Sep 24, 2009
    Lebanon (Russell Co ) Va
    Current Va regulation copy/paste fron vagif

Currently we can take 2 bucks and 3 does in most of the state so theoretically a hunter could take 5 Elk under this regulation.
    There have only been 7 Elk total checked into VA in the last few years.
    Pretty tough hunting (fortunately).
    Hope I can at least get one before they approve the regulation.
    I am in complete agreement to the change and restoration project but I do not agree with changing in mid season.
    They should have thought of this a lot sooner and controlled the harvest, especially since Kentucky was the source and financed the Elk coming into VA.
    "common respect"

Elk

The Board of Game and Inland Fisheries has proposed a regulation amendment that would prohibit the hunting of Rocky Mountain elk in Virginia. The Board will take final action on this proposed regulation amendment at the October 22, 2009 meeting.

• Elk of either sex, antlered or antlerless, may be taken during any open deer season using the weapons legal for deer during that season.
    • The taking of an elk counts towards the hunter's daily and license year bag limit for deer.
    • Licenses, tag validation, and checking requirements for elk are the same for deer except that elk must be checked at a check station.
    • It is unlawful to destroy the identity (sex) of any harvested elk until checked. Elk may be dismembered to pack it out from the place of kill. The identity of the sex and all parts of the carcass must be present when the elk is checked.
    Successful elk hunters are asked to contact the Wildlife Division of the Department's Marion Regional Office at (276)-783-4860 as soon as possible after killing an elk so that arrangements can be made to collect Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) samples. CWD testing is voluntary

11. Buck snort

Buck snort 6 pointer

May 18, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    I was the one who posted to your post a while back. Did you check out that strip mine yet. Did you see any sign. My buddy was lucky enough to harvest a nice 5x5 on the second day of week one bull season. Not a monster but a true trophy in our eyes. We had a great time. The people of eastern Ky were great as were our hosts at the place he hunted. :)

12. Getchasum

Getchasum 10 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    NKY
    Virginia reestablished the black bear population as a stipulation to this black bears come across the virginia and ky border but ky being the kind good hearted state it is protects virginias black bears. However when we reestablished the elk herd virginia did not give the elk the same respect as we did the black bear therefore they blast elk as soon as they come across which pissed off kdfw.

13. Kentuck

Kentuck 8 pointer

Nov 7, 2005
    Northern California
    My suggestion would be to call you local game warden or Fish and Game Biologist and ask them about any elk activity in the areas you want to hunt.

14. CHL

CHL 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2008
    Central KY

They're probably going to go with a lottery system next year, so no longer will VA residents be able to legally harvest elk with a deer permit. However, as far as a "restoration", they're looking at going more of managing the elk they have b /c they won't have to introduce them into the state since they're quite a few already there. Good luck to all you VA guys.

15. vabirddog

vabirddog 6 pointer

Mar 24, 2007
    I wish va would leave it as is. Our game commission does not need this. Manage elk as we watch our small game disappear? Is that a good use of our license money? Waste resources on something only a handful of virginians will ever get to be a part of or put your precious few dollars into a resource that is in dire need and would expand oppourtunities afield for everyone. Every outdoorsman in va lives near someplace that could be good small game habitat. With effort, education and initiative we could regain the experiences that we all cut our teeth on as young budding hunters. That is the way to continuing and expanding a hunting tradition. A few tags somewhere down the road is no way to reach youth, they need excitement, a place to connect to, and a resonable chance of success. Thats what small game gives them, walking in on a covey rise, waiting for the beagles to turn a rabbit, the thunderous flush of a grouse, those experiences capture the heart and birth a yearning to hunt. With hunter #s dropping and funds tighter than ever we must be looking ahead and not taking on an albatross. this initiative on elk did not come from within the game comm but with polititians, it looks good to the public to be for protecting elk. Wake up va, the future of hunting is not in big game at all, development will see to that, its in the small people, small tracts and small game.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009