Vintage Compound Bow: Bow Mechanic Advice Needed

Jman

10 pointer
Feb 14, 2003
Working on an old High Country bow that is in excellent condition. It shoots really well/very accurate. I only have one issue, the draw length is just a little too long. I have adjusted the string to the shortest pegs on the cams but i need it adjusted from 28" down to about 27" to 27-1/2". I know that I can decrease the string length by twisting it. However, twisting the string only and not adjusting the cables, will result in less draw weight. I would like to decrease the draw length (as previously described) without sacrificing draw weight.

My question is simply this. If I twist the string to obtain the draw length I want, what can I do to the cables to prevent me from experiencing weight loss? Currently I'm at 28" at 65 lbs. My goal is 27-1/2" at 65 lbs. Is this modification/adjustment possible without replacing the cables or string?

Any help appreciated!

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
Twist the string, and untwist the cable(s) the same amount. That, in theory, should advance the cams enough to keep your poundage up. Draw cycle may seem more harsh at the front.

Jman

10 pointer
Feb 14, 2003
Thanks, Meat!
Only problem is, I don't think the cables have any twist in them. That being said, I may just have to live with less weight, twisting the string only.

Hey, where you been lately? Haven't seen you in Mercer County each month. Had a good shoot last Saturday!

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
Thanks, Meat!
Only problem is, I don't think the cables have any twist in them. That being said, I may just have to live with less weight, twisting the string only.

Hey, where you been lately? Haven't seen you in Mercer County each month. Had a good shoot last Saturday!
Tied up with hay this past weekend. I'll show up sooner or later

Bowonly86

6 pointer
Apr 16, 2019
Pendleton county
What cam system does your high country have and what model is it. My dad owned a shop and sold high country for quite a while. He still has a bunch of modules and stuff for some of them.

Jman

10 pointer
Feb 14, 2003
This one is pre-“modules“. I’m guessing it to be about a 1992 vintage. It’s a High Country “Sniper“. I’m sure at the time it was considered “dual cam”. However, compared to cams today, they look more like a soft cam or energy wheel. Of course, that was state of the art stuff in the early 90s. Lol!

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
This one is pre-“modules“. I’m guessing it to be about a 1992 vintage. It’s a High Country “Sniper“. I’m sure at the time it was considered “dual cam”. However, compared to cams today, they look more like a soft cam or energy wheel. Of course, that was state of the art stuff in the early 90s. Lol!
I assume no "yoke" system on it?

Latest posts