Veterans WMA

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by grinder, Aug 17, 2019.

1. grinder

grinder 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    Been a few years since I have hunted Veterans WMA, are the deer numbers still good ? I know it was over populated when first opened, but that’s been a lot of quota hunts ago.

2. PrimeTine

PrimeTine 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2011
    Breathitt County
    I would like to have some reviews on Veteran’s also! Thanks

3. xbuckeye

xbuckeye Fawn

Sep 25, 2013
    Last year they said they had 1 deer per 4-5 acres. That was based on a count from the air with thermal imaging.

4. dabassking

dabassking 6 pointer

Sep 16, 2015
    Central KY
    May be a dumb question, but is that considered good, bad, or average? Seems pretty good to me, but once you actually start thinking about how deer could be bedded or feeding together, the amount of dead acreage increases.

Edit: just answered my own question with a quick Google search. According to this website, 1 deer per 5 acres is a HIGH density. I don’t know how trustworthy the info is, though.

https://www.deermanagement.us/deer-...r-density-for-proper-herd-management-habitat/

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  5. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    Veteran's is a good WMA to hunt...you will see deer more times than not, but it is not like when it opened...
    IMO, a lot depends on whether KDFWR plants food plots on the area like they did at first...the plots tend to hold deer nearby better than the area does without them...

If you are looking for a good buck, then you are talking about serious hunting, because Veteran's still draws a lot of pressure and the bucks respond accordingly...

6. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Scouted for rabbit hunting once a few days before deer opener and people was everywhere. Looked like a public park