Very Interesting

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Grago, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Apparently, this buck was a traveler, when i tell people around here, some of these old travelers here, go 4 or 5 miles or father, they think, im crazy.

Attached Files:

2. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    They can and will travel up to 10 miles a day during the rut according to a article I read a few years ago.

Grago likes this.
  3. woodsman92

woodsman92 8 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    I know they can really travel but Never thought about one going that far

Grago likes this.
  4. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Whole, different deal, but i have killed, ducks and geese banded so far away, its crazy, unbelievable , how far they fly sometimes. Nature does a lot of amazing stuff at times.

5. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    35-40 miles from one season spring/summer to fall/winter is crazy. I never would have guessed that.

Grago likes this.
  6. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 10 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    35 to 40. WOW!! That deer knew where to eat and where to find the hottest doe.
    I have hope of a boon and Crockett dropping by some time

riverboss, Timholt70 and Grago like this.
  7. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    Yeah the article, which was years ago, said 10 miles was the average if I remember correctly. I know when I hunted I’d either see or get the same bucks on trail cams for the entire season so I never put much faith in them traveling 10 miles. Now I can see them traveling that far during the second rut.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Grago likes this.
  8. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Still in the kitchen Ky
    Thats incredible, really opens up the population to any hunter really, never know what will show up!

9. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    I honestly dont think, they travel that far here, they pretty much, got everything they need, but i do for a fact, believe, or let me correct that, i know for a fact they travel, at least 5 and more here, thats about as far as i can actually , validate . But i do think some go even father here. I got a fuzzy pic, of a monster a couple years ago, only pic i got, and no one around here has got a pic of him, and no one has ever seen him to my knowledge, while he could be living in a thicket within 300 yards of me his whole life, and gone completely nocturnal, and just never got in front of anyones camera, i honestly believe he just left the country. There have been others over the years, i have seen that just disappeared , and was never seen or heard of again, they werent killed, legal anyway, if they had been a couple we could have read about in magazines, if they had, but this buck they are talking about is proof, some of them are travelers.

10. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Those are the deer that die of old age and don’t get found for years

Brody, Nock and Grago like this.
  11. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I don’t know about how far they travel but I can tell you we rarely have the same back visit the same place two days in a row where I hunt, sometimes even weeks apart. It’s crazy unpredictable and just a travel zone with the exception of a couple of resident does that raise in the area. I know a lot of that has to do with the does they are chasing. But “I got this big buck coming in everyday...” NEVER happens where I hunt. I’ve put trail cameras on scrapes and sometimes a week between visits by certain bucks.

Grago likes this.
  12. bdl605

bdl605 6 pointer

Nov 18, 2006
    Lawrenceburg
    I shot a 160” 10 point opening day last year. Had never seen the deer or had any pics of him. Met a neighbor on the road and he said a buddy of his had over 200 pics of him on a farm 5 miles from here

Grago and xbokilla like this.
  13. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Happens every year. Two years ago I had a huge palmated buck come on the property And made a big circles around the farm from 10 AM until 2:30pm I had him on three different cameras just going in circles then he left never to be seen again by me

I just posted something the other day about having a buck on two different cameras 3 miles across the road from one another

riverboss and Grago like this.
  14. hunt4him

hunt4him Fawn

Dec 6, 2010
    That is amazing. I know they have a large home range, but 40 miles is just crazy!!!

15. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    And here i sit wondering where the bruiser i saw in august is, probably swam over to ohio when bow opened up.

Trapper Delk, Grago and xbokilla like this.