Very Disappointed In This Year's Squirrel Season

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by davers, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Got a few stragglers around the house but nowhere near normal. Imo, their 1) seeking out water sources 2) plenty of mast and hot weather so they don't gotta go far for food then when it gets 85 degrees by 10am they stretch out and till the belly rumbles again...or that's what I'd do lol

2. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    I took a short short walk in the woods this morning, stopped and set for a few minutes. I was in the woods maybe an hour and saw over a dozen squirrels. More than half were on the ground and the other half were cutting red oaks. Saw 5 in one old dead tree that looked as if they were just weaned very small squirrels

barney likes this.
  3. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Normally, Squirrels are found on the ground during October through Winter. I bag a lot of Squirrels during the months or December and January. Don't know about this year though.

4. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    We seem to have a bumper crop on the West side of the State! I have hit one or two but try to avoid it. I'm planning a hunt as soon as the leaves fall.

davers likes this.
  5. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I usually stop hunting Squirrels around the middle of October. After Deer (Rifle) season is over I resume hunting them; sometimes the late season is better than the Summer/Fall season.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  6. Chimpy

Chimpy 8 pointer

Jun 29, 2004
    Wilder, ky, USA.
    We are loaded. I've been 4 times this year and shot 6 each time. The first 3 times every squirrel was gray. This last time I shot 3 grays, 2 fox, and 1 black. I would go more often but I don't eat them - I clean them and give them to someone I know. It is fun to get out and hunt something other than deer every so often.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  7. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Saw a stupid hawk ,trying to catch one out of a walnut ,down at the garden yesterday. I think it got away ,but it was a race from limb to limb, never seen one try to catch one in a tree before.

barney likes this.
  8. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I saw just that a few years ago while I was bowhunting one evening. The squirrel would face the hawk and chew it out when it would miss him, then the chase would start again! It went on for 10 minutes.

Monday morning before sunrise I watched a hawk come out of nowhere and catch a dove from a tree in the yard.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  9. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    I have now witnessed a hawk catch a squirrel 4 times in my life and believe it or not two of the times was this week. When that retailed hawk hits em they don't even flinch, it's like instant death for Mr squirrel

10. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    One Squirrel Season, I just finished shooting a Squirrel out of an Oak Tree. Well, after I shot the Squirrel and watched it fall out of the Oak; as soon as it hit the ground a huge Hawk swooped down and grabbed it and flew off!! Couldn't believe what happened!!

11. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Yesterday was the first day I’d been in the woods where we hunt, went to check stands, blinds, etc...I swear I saw at least 20 squirrels and this was midday. Wish I’d put my shotgun on my 4 wheeler. Saw one almost totally black but he was making tracks before I could take a pic.

12. CalebConn16

CalebConn16 Fawn

May 27, 2016
    Was walking out packing a squirrel one day had a juvenile red tail swoop right behind me felt the wind from him trying to grab my squirrel. He didn’t seem too pleased that tree that it’s squirrel was on moved. He wasn’t very big and just had got primary feathers still had some patchy down looking feathers

Carl and FOWLER2671 like this.
  13. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I drive a fair amount and try to miss squirrels, coons, possums etc but if not ; I swear I could get close to a limit just driving almost daily.

KYBOY likes this.
  14. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    That’s me. I hate killing something on the road

15. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I took a pic of this big red tail chasing squirrels this past Sunday. His head is behind the limb. Landed about 15 yds in front of me but literally flew within 5 feet of me in my deer stand. They run squirrels ragged where we hunt.
    EFF4CE1A-FC3F-42CD-B31B-3B9AC8D35373.jpeg

Luther's Feist and OLE RASPY like this.