Very Disappointed In This Year's Squirrel Season

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by davers, Aug 29, 2019.

1. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Nearly all the Hickory Trees and oaks, on my property are loaded with Hickory nuts & mast, but there's little to none cuttings under them at this time. Squirrels were more active during the middle of July, and the first day of Squirrel Season was fine as I saw around 17, after that I saw very few. They should have opened the Season the first Saturday in August, instead of the 17th.

2. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Some of you are hunting the wrong spots. Squirrels EVERYWHERE where we hunt. Hickory nuts either rotted or something else......trees loaded, but they aren't cutting them good. I've killed them in maple, beech, oak...….but very few in hickory. No shortage of squirrels.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  3. We have had 20 days of 90+ temps. I think the hot weather may be a factor as well. There is plenty of mast. So, food is not a problem. I have seen several down on the ground walking. That is strange for this time of year.

4. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Searching for wAter imo

5. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I think so, here anyway. The mountains are dry as a popcorn fart. Almost every squirrel I’ve seen has been down very low..
    Squirrel hunt’n is a lot different in these mountains than it is down in the flat country anyway..
    Here they generally start cutting on the ridges and work down.. they generally aren’t this low until October. At least in my experience..

6. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Exactly

7. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I thought the same concerning Hickory Nuts. I cracked a few and found them to be fine, so they aren't rotten on my property.

8. HuntsItAll

HuntsItAll 8 pointer

Jan 23, 2009
    A hunters paradise
    822C6FA7-44DA-4F66-8A09-7ADDC899DCB2.jpeg Went out beside my house this morning after work. Saw several squirrels. The dry leaves made it very difficult to get close enough for a shot. But I managed to use the wind blowing to get a couple shots off this morning!!! Some previous posts made for my decision of which gun I was going to use today!!!

barney, KYBOY, Dark Cloud and 2 others like this.
  9. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Nice looking Squirrels & shotgun. I went for my 2-mile walk and normally in past years; I'd see several squirrels along the road. Only saw one Squirrel this morning.

10. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I like those little locks

11. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Nice, 16ga little lock?

12. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Purple hull, must be a 16?

OLE RASPY likes this.
  13. HuntsItAll

HuntsItAll 8 pointer

Jan 23, 2009
    A hunters paradise
    Winchester
    It’s a Winchester model 37
    16 gauge.

barney, bowhunter269 and davers like this.
  14. sdorton

sdorton 6 pointer

Apr 10, 2013
    KY
    I have this same gun...only it's a 12 gauge.

15. When I was a boy in Floyd Co that was always the way it was. Opening day and most of Sept we would hunt the ridge tops and then later move down into the bottoms as the squirrels did too. This year is a little messed up. We have had more rain than most in Morehead but it is still bone dry. I have seen more squacks the last couple of weekends but have been too busy to hunt real hard and it has been hot by 10am. Bagged a few but never more than 1 or 2. This weekend is looking cooler and might be a good-one. Found a nice spot where the Forest Service did a controlled burn this summer which cleaned out all of the dry leaves and small brush under the forest canopy leaving it looking like a park. It is easy to move quietly thru the woods and a lot of game have moved into the area including some squirrels. Until the leaves fall it will be a good spot. I have only explored a tiny fraction of it due to time constraints. Saw game each time out.

I have one of the Win Mod 37's also in 12 ga. Great little shotgun.